My msn is sending spam!

Reaction score
Having installed messenger for mac on my nice new imac I decided to try and call up my old AIM details to get video working with ichat.. and I clicked on something..apparently legal run by TST Management, which has now pinched my msn contacts and is messenging them links..not to anything nasty, just annoying 'get these smiley' type stuff.

ANY ideas how I can stop it? I'm very embarrassed and it is annoying my contacts!!
Julesx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I would start by changing your password...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mackbook 2.16gHz, 2gb, 120 HD. iPhone 3g 16gb.
I would agree... sounds like some phishing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Core 2 Duo MacBook (home); Core Solo mini (work)
It depends. If the spammer is using your actual account to send things out, then changing your password should help.

But if they have simply copied your contact list, they have the addresses and can send anything to them from whatever account they use (i.e., not much you can do). If they're also spoofing your address, they can even make the messages look like they are coming from you. (Much akin to mailing an actual letter; someone else can easily write in your address on the top corner of the envelope as the return address, making it look like the letter is from you, and there's not much you can do to stop them).

That's why I usually keep my addressbook empty on web applications. (That's the one thing I don't like about Gmail, it automagically populates your addressbook with everyone you write to.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.