MBP couple Q's... Noticing slower performance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
I have been using my MBP for a couple weeks now and iv noticed a drop in performance. Im wondering what i can do to maybe get the performance that i was seeing when i first got the computer. I run disk utility and verify/repair permissions and disk once a week, i also use leopard cache cleaner once a week to optimize RAM and other stuff.. I only have 50gigs of space used on the HD so there isn't much on the computer besides my music and stuff. I have disk warrior too and ran that once about a week and a half ago. is there something that im doing wrong?

Also when i bought this computer it was advertised as a 200GB hard drive. But when i look in my preferences it only shows as 186 GB's. I remember when i bought an ipod that was advertised at one capacity and when i actually looked it less. Is this common?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Regarding the hard drive question.

Yes the difference in size is correct. When you format the drive the capacity will always be a little lower than the manufacturer specifies.

My 1TB harddrive (1000GB) is 931,2GB when formatted. In essence i am "loosing" 68,8 GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Actually you're not losing anything. It's simply a matter of your drives size being measured differently. Marketing (sales) uses a base 10 measurement and the operating system uses a base 2. It's the same, just expressed differently. Open terminal do a df -h and a df -H

you'll see that the capital H will be base2 and the lowercase will be base10.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
Oh wow thanks for that info dysfunction.. Is there somewhere i can go to get familiar with terminal? That seems to be the place to be able to customize and adjust the OS.

Since im a windows switcher sometimes the "simplicity" of mac frustrates me a little bit cause i can't do enough. Not sure if that makes any sense but..lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Not sure, I come from a unix background and well.... most of the commands are the same ;) Perhaps something like The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.