itunes transmitted via wi/fi connection

Reaction score
Can someone explain something? My brother just moved and is sharing a wireless connection with his landlord (who lives in the same house). As soon as he logged on, his landlords itunes showed up on his computer with all her songs in a new folder. He didn't try to access this. It was just automatic. I don't get why this would happen. My wife and I share a wireless connection and our itunes don't share info. We also rent out a cabin on our property and provide people with the access code to our wireless. Are they getting our itunes info? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I was surprised by this. I thought even if you shared your wi/fi access code, the data on each computer was secure.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can someone explain something? My brother just moved and is sharing a wireless connection with his landlord (who lives in the same house). As soon as he logged on, his landlords itunes showed up on his computer with all her songs in a new folder. He didn't try to access this. It was just automatic. I don't get why this would happen. My wife and I share a wireless connection and our itunes don't share info. We also rent out a cabin on our property and provide people with the access code to our wireless. Are they getting our itunes info? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I was surprised by this. I thought even if you shared your wi/fi access code, the data on each computer was secure.

It's because the landlord has decided to share his or her iTunes library, which is an option in iTunes settings. This is not a default setting, and it won't work if the firewall wasn't specifically configured to allow it (assuming they're running any kind of a firewall) - my guess is that it's intentional. You might want to mention it to the person just so they know anyone on their wireless network is going to see their iTunes library.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.