Sharing NAS with PC and MAC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current Hardware in the stable: iMac 24", Time Capsule, iPod Classic, iPhone G1.
First, the hardware;

iMac 24"
Time Capsule 1TB
Maxtor NAS
Vista Laptop
XP Game machine
Wii
Xbox

Now, the issue. Just bought a Time Capsule. Connected and setup fine. Tried to connect my Maxtor NAS to the TC. Figured out the TC uses a 10.1.x.x scheme and not a 192.168.x.x like my old router did. Once that was resolved, I was able to go to the drive. Then I had the bright idea of mapping the NAS on the Vista laptop. Worked great! Came back to the iMac and the NAS had lost connection. After much reading and trying different things, I realized the IP address had changed on the NAS. I'm not sure how this happened, but once I figured that out, I was able to see the drive.

Before the purchase of my TC, I was able to see the NAS on "all" machines in the network. However, now, it is either accessible from my iMac or my PC, but not both.

Here is a thread that I reported most, if not all, of my findings, successes and failures. http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=704506 . The thread seems to have died, so I thought I'd try again.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Frustrated in the desert.
Michael.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Are you using DHCP? If so reserve an IP for the MAC of your NAS and it'll never change again. Or, just set the IP manually. There's no reason you can't access it from both machines.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current Hardware in the stable: iMac 24", Time Capsule, iPod Classic, iPhone G1.
Are you using DHCP? If so reserve an IP for the MAC of your NAS and it'll never change again. Or, just set the IP manually. There's no reason you can't access it from both machines.

Well Mike, it worked. However, after reserving an IP address for the Maxtor NAS, visibility of the USB drive (including my TC) went away. So, I reserved that address as well. I can now see ALL my drives on ALL machines, including the TC on my Vista Laptop.

Thanks for your help!!!

Unless something weird happens, I think this issue is closed.

Michael.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.