Need harddrive help!!!

Reaction score
I am going to convert from PC to Mac OSX (YIPPPPIII!!):D :D :D

But I need help. I was wondering if there is an external hard drive on the market that you don't need to format to use on mac so that I can put all my old files from my pc on my mac. I'm not looking for anything top notch so I'd prefer that you tip on some cheap ones :p

Need Help as soon as possible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Well, depending on how many files you have, a drive that is readable in Windows should be readable in OS X. Now, saying that, I don't think NTFS is writable from OS X, so you'd only be able to read the files after moving to your Apple. However, you could move the files to the drive, then move them to your Mac, format the drive, then copy them back.

Reaction score
You can get any FAT32 formatted drive and it will work just fine on your new Mac, as well as your old PC.

I would recommend a drive with Firewire, as you can use it as a boot drive if you ever need to (must install OS X on it, first, of course).

Tao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook Black 4GB RAM Mid 2008
Most external hard drives can use both windows and mac.

If your only purpose is to move your files and you have a wireless router you can always leave your p.c running and transfer the files via your router, that is how I am transferring my music.

However an external hard drive is great as a backup and if you want to use Time Machine then get an external hard drive twice the size of your Mac's.

That way you can use it to its full potential.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.