Free Ipod (with MacBook purchase)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0
I have some questions about Apple's back to school promotion...

If I don't want an iPod, can I just have the rebate money back?

What is better, an Ipod Touch or Nano?
Or, what are the benefits/drawbacks of each?

What happens at the end of the promotion (Sept 15th I think)?
Will a better promotion be unveiled?
Or will a new generation of Macbooks be released?
I would appreciate speculation here if no one knows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
There is a high likelihood that after the promotion new macbooks will be released. Also, if you dont want the ipod I would recommend getting the touch, getting the rebate, and then selling the touch. If you do want the ipod I would again recommend the touch because it has a gorgeous touch screen and is capable of playing most of the apps available in the app store (as long as you get the 2.0 update)

Reaction score
If you don't want the ipod don't buy it. As that's how you get the rebate money back.

I'd take the nano over the touch simply because I'm not a huge fan of touch screens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook White 2GB RAM
I chose the Touch, but I kind of wish I'd chosen the Nano.

The Touch is a brilliant piece of technology, and I marveled at it for weeks. Now, however, it just can't match the functionality of a Nano. Nanos are small and easy to workout with. You can control them without thinking you'll rear-end the guy in front of you. Volume control is simple, and you can put the sleep timer on it (I haven't figure out how to do this on the Touch and it forces me to make a playlist of some kind that will be short enough to not drain my battery while I'm sleeping). I also had the Touch freak out when I was listening to a song and tried to go to the browser, so it makes me nervous about its stability.

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0
Hm, I think I'm going to go with the touch, it's worth 100$ more if I decide to sell it. Thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, if you're going to try to impress people into buying it, the Touch is probably the way to go. Don't get it engraved. =P

I was actually thinking about trying to get someone who wanted a new iPod to buy the Nano to trade with me, but then I realized it has my name and school on it. Oops. Oh well, I'm sure the Touch will come in handy sometime the Nano wouldn't have. Another thing about the Touch: battery life.

Reaction score
Sorry to kind of hijack your thread, but I'm in a similar situation. Do you think I should go for an old macbook just to get the free ipod or hold off until the new macbook comes out to get the best hardware for my money? I don't mind waiting a few months for the computer and I have a 30 GB Ipod Video that works just fine. The free iTouch is really tempting, but I want to make sure I have a computer that's relevant for years to come.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.
Sorry to kind of hijack your thread, but I'm in a similar situation. Do you think I should go for an old macbook just to get the free ipod or hold off until the new macbook comes out to get the best hardware for my money? I don't mind waiting a few months for the computer and I have a 30 GB Ipod Video that works just fine. The free iTouch is really tempting, but I want to make sure I have a computer that's relevant for years to come.

You can always be sitting around waiting for the next great computer to come out. Whatever model you get now will last for years if you treat is properly. I have had my MacBook about nine months and it is amazing as the day I got it.

Reaction score
This is probably a really stupid question...

I just purchased a new macbook pro and chose a new ipod touch to go with it, but now I have no idea how to activate the rebate. I've never really used a mail-in rebate before and I don't know how this really works, or what steps I am supposed to take to get my ipod free of charge.

So, dumb as it may sound, how do I get my $400 back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not a mail-in if you bought it through the Apple online store. Go to the site and into your account. There will be a link regarding rebates.

Fastest, easiest rebate process ever.

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my opinion, it's better if you get a Macbook now as opposed to waiting for the new one. There are no rumors of hardware upgrades on the new model... all anyone seems to have heard is that the exterior is getting re-designed. It is not impossible to think that the first new model released may be prone to glitches, such as overheating for example. Not to mention that the new Macbook may not even be arriving in September; it's just speculation.

Tao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook Black 4GB RAM Mid 2008
Agreed with nmccready, I heard the processor chip for the new MacBooks will be released in September, then you're looking at another month or two at least before the new ones come out; if in fact they do release them and then you're looking at a first generation notebook which can have faults with its design or hardware.

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My only grievance with the Macbook Pro I'm about to get is the video card. I'm an avid gamer and I would much prefer the Geforce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit, over the 8600 that it will be coming with. I'll be bummed if I can't run the games that are coming out in the next couple of years on high settings, after spending almost $3000 on a computer. I was almost thinking about buying a Windows computer on Newegg for the higher specs at a much cheaper price, but then I remembered that I'd rather not have my computer crash just about every day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.