PC guy here

Reaction score
Hello all... it's about time for me to buy a new notebook. Macs have never really been an option before, I need too many Windows apps for what I do. Now I want to give Apple a look, I'm thinking about getting the 13" 2.4GHz notebook and running OSX and XP pro on it. Will someone who knows please either talk me into or out of this? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Hatrabbit,

Why not? I just switched in March and couldn't be happier with my Macbook. it's the 2.2 but I put in 4GB RAM and a 320GB hard drive, and I'm now using my 120GB Apple drive as an external.

I still have 2 desktop PCs (that I built) running XP and also have XP on my Macbook. Great option if you're not willing to give up all those other XP programs! I use Parallels and can have XP and OS X on the same desktop - you can't do that with a Windows machine!!

You'll love the ease of the Macbook - just close the top for the night and never shut it off... it just goes to sleep. And I've been using mine off power now for about 2 hours and it shows I still have 3:49 left. Try that with a Windows machine!

Good luck and enjoy your new Macbook,

Noel

EdH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro(5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB hdd
I just made the switch to a macbook 2.4 GHz, 2 GB ram in June. I upgraded to a 250 GB hard drive and put the original 160 in an enclosure. I have always been a windows user, but since getting this I rarely use my HP laptop. If the time comes that I absolutely have to use some Windows applications, I will likely install xp or vista via bootcamp. This really is a great machine - I considered upping the ram to 4 GB, but haven't been disappointed with the performance from 2 GB. And... the battery life is amazing at 4+ hrs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hello all... it's about time for me to buy a new notebook. Macs have never really been an option before, I need too many Windows apps for what I do. Now I want to give Apple a look, I'm thinking about getting the 13" 2.4GHz notebook and running OSX and XP pro on it. Will someone who knows please either talk me into or out of this? Thanks in advance.

There's absolutely no reason not to buy a Mac. Even in the unlikely event you find you just reallllllly don't like OS X, you still can run Windows. As for "needing" too many Windows apps... I'd wager there are comparable OS X versions for most of what you use. Sometimes you just have to look a little harder. Well... not all that hard... just searching VersionTracker.com is usually enough.

Reaction score
make the switch and you will not regret it. Once I made my transfer from PC to mac i wished that I would have switched long ago or started with mac from the beginning. It would have made my life so much easier knowing I can spend more time doing things I need to get done on the computer rather then trying to fix my pc to do what needs to be done

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Blackbook, 4GB memory, 250GB HD
I have the 2.4GHz Black Macbook and so far I love it. Its the best decision I've ever made. Regarding using Windows programs, you can use either Boot Camp, Parallels or VMWare Fusion to run Windows on the Mac. Go for it, you will not regret it.

Reaction score
I think the recent switchers on here tell the most compelling stories. They have been where you are. But also consider the posts of a computer security expert who was "Mad as ****" about his Windows experience documented his switch, as well as the story of Microsoft's Windows 95 lead architect who also made the switch to Mac. You will find those stories here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.4ghz/4gigram/sd/leopard
If you tire of the constant trouble with spyware and viruses and the like, just come on over. I started at 15 with a mac, moved to wintel for gaming and such, and have finally matured enough to realize that mac is so much better for everything I need. I word process, watch movies, listen to music, and use the net to do a lot of shopping, and the rock solid reliability of a mac running osx is just amazing.

Surfing with windows is like being in the frontline trenches, you never know minute by minute what is coming your way with each click. With a Mac, it is like being 20000 feet up, and surveying the destruction below with a smug satisfaction.

Maybe I love this computer too much?....... Nah, it is truly awesome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
How are we supposed to talk you into or out of it when we know nothing about you or your needs?

Reaction score
Do it... you will not regret it!! The entire experience from shopping in the store, to taking the computer out of the box was worth it... I am 4-weeks into my Mac experience. When I opened the box, I knew I had made the right decision, when I turned the computer on for the first time and it recognized my wireless network and wireless printer without me having to do anything... I knew I had made the right decision.

I still have my slow poke PC notebook in case I need to get on and do something but so far I am adjusting to using the MacBook only. Any websites that I maintain on PC software I transferred to my work computer (eventually, hoping to use Dreamweaver for the Mac), which is a PC... I might load Windows on down the road but I am testing to see if I can live without it... I really don't want to mess up this thing of beauty :)

Reaction score
There's absolutely no reason not to buy a Mac. Even in the unlikely event you find you just reallllllly don't like OS X, you still can run Windows. . not all that hard... just searching VersionTracker.com is usually enough.

Does Crossover run Agent?

How about Quickbooks Pro 2008?

Thanks

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
Parallels will run agent and quickbooks.

I've managed to get parallels to run Sage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Does Crossover run Agent?

If you mean Forté Agent, then it has an advocate ranking of Silver to Gold status under older versions for Linux. Codeweavers doesn't support it specifically at this time. Chances are, it should be flawless or near-flawless with the current version. I can test it myself this weekend if I get a chance. Or you could get the trial version and give it a whirl. Better yet... sign up to be an advocate and get the full version for free. :)

How about Quickbooks Pro 2008?

They have Quickbooks Pro 2008 listed in the database, but there are no advocates who have done any testing on it. One older version got a Gold compatibility ranking on an older version of Crossover for Linux, so there's a fair chance it may work. If you are really interested in this, I suggest signing up as an advocate. All they ask is you routinely test your advocated apps under each new version and post a ranking, list of bugs, etc. You get Crossover free for your support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.