processor worth extra cost?

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a macbook soon, before the back to school promotion ends, and I'm trying to decide which model. I'll mainly be using it for things like browsing, music/video, word processing, along with some basic music editing. I'm thinking of buying the base model and upgrading to 2GB ram from crucial ($50). I don't think I will really have the need to burn or copy any dvds, and I probably won't need the extra 40GB of hard drive space available in the next model up.

My question then is whether or not I it would be worth it for me to spend the extra cash and get the next model up. Would the 2.4GHz processor make any difference to me given my uses?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
While I don't realyl need the extra stuff, and I'll be upgrading the RAM to 4GB anyways, I just bought the middle config because of all it offers. The combo drive is a bit behind the times, there's really no excuse to not include a superdrive (they cost next to nothing these days). The processor will be a little bit faster, and the extra specs make it well worth it IMO. You probably get a free ipod/printer too, so go ahead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook White 2GB RAM
I got the middle one, with 2GB RAM and 200GB space. I don't know how that really helps you, but that's what I went with for college, if that's where you're headed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
An extra 0.3 GHz will make no noticeable difference for your uses. I'd also recommend Newegg over Crucial since the only difference between "Mac memory" and regular memory is the extra money Crucial tricks new Mac users into paying for the same product they sell for other computers... plus with Newegg, you have a wider selection to choose from (including Crucial's own memory). Newegg's return/exchange policy is also quite excellent in the event that the memory doesn't work out. These 2GB kits should work with the computer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...60381+1052910525+1309121117+1052516065&name=5

Just be aware that if you need to send your computer to Apple for any sort of repair, you should put your original RAM back in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Just be aware that if you need to send your computer to Apple for any sort of repair, you should put your original RAM back in.

How so?

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
The Middle one is definitely the best choice
For just $200 more you get Better hardrive, better processor(Yes very important),more RAM(2GB in total which is far enough)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Go to an Apple Store, ask for a repair, and tell them you've installed 3rd party RAM. You'll soon find out. It may not void the warranty on paper, but it's an entirely other story in practice thanks to the laziness and false notions Apple indoctrinates its employees (and gullible users whenever they can) with. Additionally, in the event that Apple has to replace the whole computer, I get the feeling one would rather lose the 1GB of RAM that came with the computer than a 2GB RAM kit that cost extra money.

I may be acting a bit cynical about Apple's motives here, since I can see them not wanting to deal with the hassle of the full repair process if it turns out the user was just dumb and installed incompatible RAM, but this is a blanket practice that goes into effect whether or not you made sure to install RAM with the right specs. They also might just not want to deal with people whining when they lose the 4GB of RAM they bought because the computer was replaced and now has the stock 1GB of RAM again, etc. Either way, leaving the RAM you bought in there is a bad idea.

NOTE: It amazes me how everyone in this thread has utterly ignored the OP. He said he doesn't need/want the Superdrive or extra HDD space and can buy 2GB of RAM for a fraction of the price difference between the low and middle models, so he simply wants to know if an extra 0.3 GHz is worth an extra $150. Meanwhile, all anyone's done is say how THEY got the middle model and he should too for all these great extras that he's already said he's not interested in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
I'm planning on buying a macbook soon, before the back to school promotion ends, and I'm trying to decide which model. I'll mainly be using it for things like browsing, music/video, word processing, along with some basic music editing. I'm thinking of buying the base model and upgrading to 2GB ram from crucial ($50). I don't think I will really have the need to burn or copy any dvds, and I probably won't need the extra 40GB of hard drive space available in the next model up.

My question then is whether or not I it would be worth it for me to spend the extra cash and get the next model up. Would the 2.4GHz processor make any difference to me given my uses?

If none of the extras don't matter to you then I would suggest saving yourself the extra money for the middle model. You will never notice the difference for the uses you describe. The added RAM will help running multiple applications at the same time but other than that, the processor will be fine.

But on the other hand, You aren't just paying for the boost in processor speed, you are paying for the superdrive and the extra HD space that you MAY need later. IMO, it's nice to have something and not need it than not have it and need it. But if you are tight on money then it's a no brainer, go with the cheaper one, you won't notice a difference.

Tao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook Black 4GB RAM Mid 2008
Just get the base model, like everyone else stated for your needs the extra processing speed will not make a difference.

As far as extra hard drive space, if you eventually need it you can just get an external.

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks for all the advice. i'm leaning toward the mid-range model, telling myself i may want the extra hard drive space. i figure if i'm going to be spending ~$40-$50 to upgrade to 2GB ram, i may as well spend $150 more to get the next model in case i need the space or super drive at some point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
The extra processor speed is more helpful when you are multitasking between more than 2 applications. If you don't have more than 2 applications open at once then your better with the basic macbook.

Hard drives are cheap too now so you can always buy an external HDD later if needed. Buy what you need, not what you want..is my thinking:)

Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro SR
The Mid level one is a good choice I think. Although the low end one is very capable of anything you will probably use it for, it is nice to have the extra HD space, memory, superdrive, and quicker processor. The resale will be much better if you ever want to sell it and will save you the trouble of expanding in the future if you decide to keep it for the long haul.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.