New monitor, worth using DVI?

Reaction score
I really don't know anything about monitors and video input (as some of you know from my previous monitor related post), and recently bought a 19" LG LCD monitor. I have a macbook so I bought a mini-DVI to DVI adapter, and when I opened the monitor box up, I discovered that the monitor only came with a VGA cord. Should I go out and by the necessary DVI cable to connect to my adapter, or should I return the DVI adapter and get a VGA adapter?

After doing research on CNET, I'm confused. Someone told me I needed a dedicated video card to take advantage of DVI, and I remember reading something about the Macbook not having one.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/explanations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Get the appropriate DVI cable. The quality will be much better than VGA.

No, you do not need a dedicated video card. You will be able use the external monitor as an extended (second) desktop or to mirror your Macbook display. Unless the resolutions are identical, don't use mirroring.

P.S. I'm assuming all Macbooks have the display capabilities of the current model. If yours is older, double check the specs.

Reaction score
DVI is far superior to VGA as it is a digital connection rather than analogue.

If the monitor is VGA only I would try and exchange the monitor.

However if it has a DVI input but is just missing the cable, then by all means buy one.

Whereabouts are you? I have about 4 spare DVI cables here, so you could have one for free if you are local (Highly unlikely I know).

OP
L
Reaction score
DVI is far superior to VGA as it is a digital connection rather than analogue.

If the monitor is VGA only I would try and exchange the monitor.

However if it has a DVI input but is just missing the cable, then by all means buy one.

Whereabouts are you? I have about 4 spare DVI cables here, so you could have one for free if you are local (Highly unlikely I know).

Thanks, but I'm in North Carolina. I just picked one up for about 20 bucks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.