Vista or XP?

Reaction score
Hi i have just recently got a macbook pro,

i need to have windows installed via bootcamp for gaming, i was just wondering whether i should install xp or vista and would vista run a lot slower than xp?

oh and i have the baseline MBP

Thanks

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
As far as which one will run slower... I cant say for sure. If I had to guess I'd say Vista would take up more memory than XP, and you probably would need Vista to run alot of the new games coming out, considering alot of the windows one seem to be Vista only. But if you had to ask me I'd say XP is the better operating system. I guess it depends on the games you want to play, you know?

OP
C
Reaction score
Ye i am currently into guild wars and would like to be able to play old final fantasy games (mainly vii and viii). i would like to be able to play new games as well but atm there arent any that i really want to

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guild Wars? Definately XP then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure it does, but I ran it on XP when I played and it ran great. So save some money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Vista runs fine on my MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
If your into speed between Vista and XP, do a little google search on the system requirements for both....you'll find XP needs a lot less horsepower to run like a champ, meanwhile Vista....is a system resource guzzler and yes folks, this comes from someone who built up a SLI rig that goes like stink that Vista felt SLOW on !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Vista is much slower than xp in my experience. They put them on the computers at school and ended up taking them off within a couple of weeks. But in Vistas defense that was when they first came out and there were a lot of bugs. I imagine they will eventually run faster and smoother.

Reaction score
I hate both, but Vista is packed with anti-features, so I hate it quite a bit more. You might consider playing with GNU/Linux - I strongly recommend Ubuntu! To run Windows programs, you'll need WINE.

Reaction score
since you wanna play game, i'd say go with windows xp for its compatibility. you have a baseline mbp, so it'd probably handel xp better than vista that is more hardware-demanding.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks for the replys
i have installed xp but i am quite interested about the comment above about installing ubuntu and then using wine to run windows programs.

could anybody please comment on how well this would run games like guild wars.

thanks
Mike

Reaction score
I didn't notice any difference with either. Go with Vista for more features. I only swtiched back to XP because of work.

Reaction score
steps required to install Windows XP on a Mac

Step 1: Download Mac OS X v10.4.6 (or later) and latest firmware update from Apple Download website.

Step 2: Run the Boot Camp Assistant to create a Macintosh Drivers CD or DVD.

Step 3: Create a new hard-disk partition [minimum size, 5GB] to make room for Windows XP. All the software and data on the original Mac partition stays intact.

Step 4: Insert your Windows XP CD and start the XP installation. Select Partition C: and format the partition using either NTFS or FAT file formats. Though NTFS is more secure than FAT, you won't be able to write or save files to the Windows volume from Mac OS X.

Step 5. Once XP install process is complete, Boot Camp will restart your system in Windows XP automatically. Now is the turn to install Mac Drivers from the Macintosh Drivers CD that you created in Step 2. Restart.

This is an optional step. You can change the Startup Disk preferences page to choose which OS to boot by default. The default OS can also been changed from Windows Control Panel - Performance and Maintenance - Startup Disk.Change the Operating system and Restart.

At startup, hold down the option key (alt) to choose between Mac OS X and Windows.You can consult any professional software development company check out the link http://www.infysolutions.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.