When should I buy my Macbook?

Reaction score
Hi,

I just joined the forums and I'm wondering when you guys recommend that I buy a Macbook. Someone told me that a new line would come out sometime around Christmas and I don't know what I should do because I love the Macbooks now (possibly any discounts?). Any suggestions?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thread moved to more appropriate forum. Please read before posting in Rumors & Reports.

No one knows but Apple when new products are coming out. There is no defined "product cycle". So, buy the machine you need when you need it and it will continue to serve those needs long after an updated model is released.

Reaction score
If you need one now, I don't see any reason to not go for it.
Got a family member a MB 2 weeks ago ^^.

If you are not in a rush, you can always wait. Some speculation leads to September. But that is all a speculation can leave you at, wondering forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
As with ANY kind of electronic, buy it when you want/need it otherwise you'll be playing a continued waiting game until the next best thing comes out.

Reaction score
As with ANY kind of electronic, buy it when you want/need it otherwise you'll be playing a continued waiting game until the next best thing comes out.

This is absolutely the right advice. If you want it or need it NOW, get it now.

However, it is generally believed (right or not) that the MB line will be updated in the next couple of months. Apparently, Apple just sent out a memo to its resellers to stock up on notebooks now, in anticipation of a looming shortage. Again (right or wrong), this is generally perceived to indicate a new model being released.

Frankly, I am waiting until the next release, BUT... I don't HAVE TO buy now. I personally believe the next release will see some changes that I want to be a part of (multi-touch and gestures, for example). But, that is based on MY desires and assumptions; yours may vary, and as always, the rule quoted above applies. That said, it always feels better to buy right after a new release than right before it!

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm actually really interested in Apple Students offer right now (free iPod with Mac purchase). I like the Macbooks the way they are right now, and if a new generation is coming out, does this mean the Macbook is at it's lowest price right now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I'm actually really interested in Apple Students offer right now (free iPod with Mac purchase). I like the Macbooks the way they are right now, and if a new generation is coming out, does this mean the Macbook is at it's lowest price right now?

Possibly. It's certainly less than when they first came out, if you compare the specs. Add in the free iPod and it's a pretty sweet deal.

OP
T
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can swap the 16 GB Touch for the 8 GB Touch and pay an extra $100? Because it just says a $299 rebate...

Reaction score
Guide to recent product updates/refreshes

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

The Macbook gets updated roughly every 6 months and was last updated in February, so if I were you I would only buy now if you really need it now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.