Upgrading Memory: Which should I buy?

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade the memory in my imac, but I'm finding mostly PC memory. Is it all the same in that I can put a kingston memory stick in my imac even though it is advertised for PC?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The hardware inside an Intel Mac is exactly the same as a Windows PC, so there is no real difference in terms of memory. Just find the right specifications and the memory will work without a hitch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Download the app Mactracker from here.

mactracker.dreamhosters.com/

That lists the specs of every mac ever sold and will tell you exactly what ram you will need to buy no matter which mac you have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Upgrading memory

I always buy from Crucial. They have a method of telling you what sort of ram you need just by putting in a few details. Where are you located as I have two 1gig sticks spare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Crucial is also my favorite for my macbook (I use corsair for my mac pro - life time fan) www.crucial.com enter your computer model and it will tell you what you need. Either buy straight from store or google shop the product to find deals

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I am in Tucson, Arizona. I have a new imac 2.8Ghz

2 spare memory sticks would be superb. Why the extras?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I dropped a pair of Buffalo Select (Value line) DDR2 1Gb SODIMM sticks into my Mac Mini. work like a charm, no issues. got 2Gb RAM and it's quite speedy, cost me like $23 a stick in Canada from a actual reatail store,.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Extra Sticks

It,s a long story but I had a problem with my local Apple store and the nice people there solved it by taking my year old iMac and cloning onto a brand new one. As the new one came with two Gigs they took my memory out and gave it back to me with the new computer. Sorry to say that the shipping would cost me more than the original price most probably so have a look at Crucial in the states.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHZ PROCESSOR / 4GB RAM / 200GB HHD - iPhone 3G 16GB Black
What computer are you upgrading? I know with a MBP it does not void the warranty.

Reaction score
just make sure where ever you purchase your ram from can tell you that it will definitely work in your specific model. I ran into a problem a couple of weeks ago, I was shopping for ram on ebay(new) and I matched all the numbers and specs exactly, ordered and installed and had problems so I had to send them back. This happen twice from two different sellers. Crucial for example has a section on there site where you can submit your model and it will show you the correct chip for you, well there are also stores on ebay that do the same and are much cheaper. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.