Macbook on lap?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2.4 GHz, 4GB memory, 250 GB hard drive
I've been researching it and I'm not getting a clear response as to whether it's OK to use it on your lap or does it somehow alter the macbook in any way? I'm using it on my lap for the first time now, and it's just so comfortable...

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
its called a laptop for a reason man,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I had/have no problems with my MB on my lap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You can use it on your lap but it might get hotter - never bothered mine though.

Beware of doing it naked though...

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its called a laptop for a reason man,

They actually call em notebooks, and Apple discourages using em on your laps. Thats why I asked.

Reaction score
The reason they discourage putting it on your lap is because studies have shown it can heat up and decrease a males sperm count and not to mention why would you want it super hot down in that area anyways? lulz

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I'm taking it off now hahahahaha

Reaction score
Heat not good

I have found a really cool platform for my notebook, you have probably seen them before. Its a little platform the same dimentions of your laptop with fans(2or3) built right into it. I have talked to a couple of tech guys that have all said the same thing, the more heat that can be displaced the better. They claim it can even prolong the life of your laptop. Again I am no tech guy but that is what they told me and it does make sense and besides the platform that I have looks really cool to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I have a very low-tech bit of wood the same size as my MacBook that I sit it on when it's hot... lol. Might have a look at those fancy ones though.

Reaction score
I hear you, they do sound kinda dumb but mine seems to work pretty well and you can ebay for like $20

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
I used to use my Macbook Pro on my lap, but it was always too hot. I'm sure it's not bad for the computer, at-least I think so o_O ... But anyway, I went down to Staples and picked this up: http://www.laptopdesk.net/laptopdesk2f.html

They are great, they keep the computer cool and it's much more comfortable. In fact I'm on mine right now :) I'm not sure if the one I linked was the exact brand, but they are all pretty much the same and I highly recommend!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook White 2GB RAM
Aside from sperm count concerns, I worry about the high heat affecting the motherboard. I fried one in my middle school laptop because it stayed on when I put it in the case, and more recently I believe a friend who had to get a new hard drive in his Macbook cited that as the reason. Make sure it can ventilate. I try to always put a book under it if I'm using it on my lap. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but this thing was expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually I thought Apple now call them notebooks instead of laptops. And for a reason too. When I use my friends macbook I always put a little board in between the machine and my crotch. And it works just fine. But I've never used it for an extended period of time though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
my computer gets just as hot on my lap as it does sitting on a table, so I dont really worry too much about where its at.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook: 2.4GHz, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM iPod:6th Gen, Silver 80GB:Canon Powershot SD1100 IS

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.