Database help needed. PC to Mac

Reaction score
Hi. First time poster here and I have have a bit of a problem with finally getting the PC out of my life...

I have all of my contacts in a database on my old PC and need to work out how to get them into a database on my Mac desktop without doing it manually. Is there a way?

The PC database is Access 2003 and I am running Tiger on my old G4 power mac.

What options are available?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Normally I would say Bento from Filemaker - but that is Leopard only

what sort of info is in there just contact details or more stuff like motes etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Is apple's address book good enough for you or do you want something more

Reaction score
You *should be* able to export the information as comma or tab delimited file and import that into the database program of your choice on the Mac. I get info like this all the time from our SysOp. My lab is the only Mac lab in the entire district, so the database I use is different from the school's. I use Filemaker Pro and recommend it highly.

Reaction score
I had the same problem. Save your access file as a spreadsheet file (.xls). Then on your Tiger, using NeoOffice, import the xls file. Then resave it as a database file. If you are using Bento it is even easier then that - just import the .xls file and design a Form (if you want a form).

OP
D
Reaction score
I had the same problem. Save your access file as a spreadsheet file (.xls). Then on your Tiger, using NeoOffice, import the xls file. Then resave it as a database file. If you are using Bento it is even easier then that - just import the .xls file and design a Form (if you want a form).

What is NeoOffice?

Is Bento recommended?

OP
D
Reaction score
Excellent thanks. On the download now, will let you know if it works :)

So very annoying, i've downloaded Neo Office but it doesn't install properly. It just comes up with a message saying that there is 1minute remaining.

Aaarrrggggh! any suggestions?

Thanks

DL

Reaction score
Try downloading again from a different site. I had no problem downloading NeoOffice.

Reaction score
Ok. So downloaded Neo office. Got it installed. Saved my Access database as an .xls file... Now how do I save it as a database?

Open it in NeoOffice. You will get a spreadsheet. Then design a form for it (if you want one - some I know just work from the spreadsheet). There is a screen when you first open (cannot remember which one exactly without having NeoOffice actually open.) Basically, open the xls with NeoOffice, then click File, New, Database. A wizard will open up and you can then design a form. Let me know if you get stuck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.