PDA

View Full Version : Remove item from dock

Stanley
08-21-2003, 03:36 AM
Okay, allow me post what has to be the dumbest question on this forum...
How do I remove an item / icon from the dock.

In addition to this:
How do I uninstall programs ? Is there a list of all installed software on your machine somewhere (and next to each item an uninstall button)?

Like I said before. I used to be a windows guy. Still learning the mac-ropes.

Stanley

Murlyn
08-21-2003, 04:53 AM
To remove a dock icon.. click on the icon and hold down your mouse button.. then drag it off of the dock and then let it drop to the eternal fires below!

To unninstall programs, find the program directory that you want to uninstall, click on it, hold down your mouse button and drag it to the trash icon on your dock.. drop it into the trash, empty the trash. Or you can control click on the folder and select "Move to Trash" :)

Cheers!

schweb
08-21-2003, 07:05 AM
Also Stanley, I might suggest Mac OS X: The Missing Manual. It was a really helpful book for me when I first switched!

Stanley
08-28-2003, 04:05 AM
To unninstall programs, find the program directory that you want to uninstall, click on it, hold down your mouse button and drag it to the trash icon on your dock.. drop it into the trash, empty the trash. Or you can control click on the folder and select "Move to Trash" :)

Cheers!

Okay - did that a couple of times now...
But now I see that sometimes there are still files left of that application in other folders (library/application support/....). So if you install / remove a lot of programs (e.g. for testing purposes) your system gets kindof 'dirty' after a while from all the small files that are still there from uninstalled software....

Stanley

Murlyn
08-28-2003, 02:04 PM
This is true and this is one of the complaints that people have with Mac, not just OS X, throughout the years. They really do need an uninstaller, but for some reason they refuse to create one :( Anyways if you really want to clean it out, do like you said, go to Library/Application support, library/preferences etc and clean out the files that you do not have applications for anymore.

fairydust
11-11-2003, 07:31 PM
To remove a dock icon.. click on the icon and hold down your mouse button.. then drag it off of the dock and then let it drop to the eternal fires below!

Cheers!
Hi
I clicked and dragged the icon off the dock and it jumps right back into dock---now what?
Fairydust

Fomer
11-11-2003, 07:55 PM
You have to quit the program first so their is no little black arrow under it.

jcromartie
11-13-2003, 02:44 PM
As far as leaving bits and pieces in your library, there's no harm done. No other application is going to go reading the wrong preferences. They all have distinctly different names. And for the Applications Support folder, those are also only used by the specific application. Yes, they do take up disk space... but last time I checked, my Application Support folder was 15 MB, and Preferences was 7 MB. I don't think that's cause for alarm.

macbookmaster
09-02-2007, 09:46 PM
there is an aplication called appcleaner or something like that.... if you want add me on aim or send me a message and i can send you a dl link..... i dont have time to find it now

Eric559
09-02-2007, 09:56 PM
there is an aplication called appcleaner or something like that.... if you want add me on aim or send me a message and i can send you a dl link..... i dont have time to find it now
They haven't asked for help in about 4 years. I'm pretty sure they figured it out. ;)

macbookmaster
09-02-2007, 09:59 PM
HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! i didnt even notice.... HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!

PapaNoHair
09-02-2007, 11:05 PM
HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! i didnt even notice.... HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!

Neither snow, nor ice, nor sleet, nor time will keep us from our appointed rounds of help.........:D