• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie '08 (7.1.4) cannot interpret capture date correctly

Reaction score
I just came back from 1 hour of one-to-one with an Apple Store creative person and we could not conclude what is wrong really. So I am looking for some expert help here ...

I tried importing a miniDVD movie from my handycam Sony DCR DVD-405 and when after it imports the DVD the clip date/times are off. It seems like the first clip gets a time which is about "First used date" + 1hour. The subsequent clips are all about 1 second more than the previous clip.

So as an illustration, I have this DVD which I started using on June 16, 2008 at 5.35pm and the first clip that iMovie shows from this DVD has a timestamp of June 16, 2008 18:43:22. The second clip is 18:43:23 and the third clip is 18:43:24, and so on.

Anyone else seeing such a problem? Anyone know what I can do to read the date correctly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Is your Mac date and time set correctly? Check in System preferences>Date & Time>Date & Time tab, set...

OP
L
Reaction score
Is your Mac date and time set correctly? Check in System preferences>Date & Time>Date & Time tab, set...

Yes, the time is set correctly and has been, for quite some time.

In the past I have had a few occasions where the time was off and I had to go in the Date/Time prefs and change it, but the last time I had to do it was about 6 months ago.

OP
L
Reaction score
bump

Anyone facing such an issue, or is it only me? Can't believe it would be all miniDVD camcorders. If there is anything to change from my side, it would be nice to make those changes so that I can start compiling all my kids' movies :-(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.