wireless router selective about what devices can connect...

EdH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro(5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB hdd
Perhaps someone can shed light on this problem. Apologies in advance for any lack of details...

My friend has a wireless router with a WEP password. There is no problem connecting with a windows machine, windows pocket pc, or asus eee running linux. However, my macbook, iPod Touch and iPhone cannot. Also my Palm OS Tungsten TX is unable to connect. Now, perhaps connect isn't the correct word here - as I recall, the router accepts the password when it is input, but there is no internet. Originally I thought it was something quirky with my iPod, but when I purchased my macbook and went to show it off, the same problem occurred.

I do not remember the brand of router...

OP
E

EdH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
update...still no luck

I tested the connection again tonight, but still forgot to get the name of the router. With my hp laptop I enter the WEP password and all is good. I enter the SAME password on either my iPod touch or macbook and I get an error message that the password is incorrect??? :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Are you certain he doesn't have MAC address filtering turned on? A router can be configured to not listen to a device based on the unique hardware address a network card has.

Have you tried connecting to the router directly with an ethernet cable as well? That would verify that it's only the wireless that your system is having a problem with.

OP
E

EdH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. I will likely be there again today. I will check with a cable, and try to log on to the router to check the MAC settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.