In need of resource

Reaction score
This forum has been a tremendous asset as I try to learn the intricacies of Macs. However, I seem to have new questions pop up everyday that are probably very basic, and I hate to keep cluttering the forum with them.

I am trying to learn how to get my Mac to run smoother for everyday tasks, such as opening attachments without having to navigate through multiple windows, how best to save files and where, etc. What seems to have compounded my difficulties is that the new Firefox browser seems to also cause some increased management of everyday tasks (for instance, I set it to open all .doc attachments using Preview, yet it still asks how would I like to view the attachment every time, and I still have to click on the download window to open the attachment). I am sure there is a way that attachments will open automatically once you click on them!

Is there a resource that a newbie like me could access that would help with the very basic functions of Macs, including how to customize it?

I have loved my iMac since I got it 2 months ago, but now I am struggling with how to increase my efficiency with it.

Thanks for any guidance you all can provide!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
surprisingly the built in help in Mac OS X is actually helpful; just search what you need help with under the help menu. E.g firewall, network, attachments etc...

Reaction score
There are a number of sites for switchers: here, of course, the iSwitched link in my sig, switchingtomac.com, for example. There are also some good books to consider; I like David Pogue's Missing Manual series.

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
I second the missing manual series. I believe there is even one for switchers.

Reaction score
Manuals

I am also very new to mac and have been looking for anything to help me as well. I did find quite a few on ebay, one was mac os x for dummies and there were a few more. I dont know how good they are yet but it may be worth looking into.

Reaction score
You might also try using the Search function in this forum. You can find out a lot that way. I did this when I first got my Mac and it helped me a lot. Kind of like a private tutorial where I pick the subject I want to learn about. I would start with the Switcher category and after that just go to the area you want to learn about. Just scroll down the list of posts, etc. I also second the Help function in Mac. It is great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.