Do macs require maintenance?

Reaction score
Do I need to do anything to maintain my mac in order to keep it running smoothly as I did with windows (not that it was ever that smooth)? I may be paranoid but it seems like my machine is taking longer to shutdown than it used to.

If maintenance can be performed, how/which programs should I utilize?

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yep, it doesn't hurt to periodically run the maintenance tasks in a program like MainMenu or Onyx. And as long as you don't fill the hard disk to near-capacity, you'll never need to worry about fragmentation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alienware,mbp,imac(3),blackjack,Hp running macintosh,
I could not agree more with cwa107 Macs are the best computers you can buy you'll love it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Though to be fair, I didn't do any for my first 18 months with this MacBook and nothing terrible happened :). Do it every now and then now though, Onyx makes it pretty easy really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
Even if it doesn't need it, it'll make you feel better. I like how when I run Onyx to clear the caches and such I can get about 1-2GB of HD space back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core 2 duo 2.2ghz, 120 gig HDD, 4 gigs of RAM
I like MainMenu, its free and works very well.

Reaction score
Even if it doesn't need it, it'll make you feel better. I like how when I run Onyx to clear the caches and such I can get about 1-2GB of HD space back.

I'm scared to use onyx because I don't know what I'm doing.. what would you normally select under the cleaning tab?
what's cleaning the boot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Do I need to do anything to maintain my mac in order to keep it running smoothly as I did with windows (not that it was ever that smooth)? I may be paranoid but it seems like my machine is taking longer to shutdown than it used to.

If maintenance can be performed, how/which programs should I utilize?

Thanks!

I would say not really. Check out this article before you go overboard with the maintenance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
If you don't run the maintenance scripts for a long time then nothing serious will happen to your Mac. I suggest putting your mac to sleep at night time and when you wake up it will automatically run the scripts for you…

Reaction score
I have posted a few things about maintenance on the Fix My Mac link in my signature. Personally, I am a fan of Cocktail (similar to onyx) to the degree that I purchased it to use the Pilot feature, though I have heard good things about onyx as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I read somewhere that cleaning the cache is not necessarily a good thing since cache files exist for a logical reason, such as letting your programs and apps open very quickly, as opposed to taxing the system memory for such a simple task.

I'd not go so crazy about maintenance, personally speaking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I read somewhere that cleaning the cache is not necessarily a good thing since cache files exist for a logical reason, such as letting your programs and apps open very quickly, as opposed to taxing the system memory for such a simple task.

Yeah, that's true caches are only supposed to be cleaned if your system isn't working properly or an app isn't working properly, it's not really a maintenance routine despite what most people think…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core 2 duo 2.2ghz, 120 gig HDD, 4 gigs of RAM
If your startup times are a lot slower than they used to be, you might want to see what programs you have starting up with OS X. I had this issue when I first got my Macbook. A quick check showed that I had 2-3 additional programs starting with the OS. It made the difference in a 35 second boot up and a 1:20 sec boot up.

Shut down times seem to be the same way, the less you have active on shutdown the faster it will be. Mine is about 6 seconds with about 85 apps installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
Onyx is free yeah I just downloaded it. It's great! You rarely have to do any maintenance but when you do Onyx makes it cake.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.