Help with iphone and travel

Reaction score
Okay, this is my first post here on this forum, but I am a member of other various forums online, and if this topic has been covered, I am sorry, but I couldn't find anything by searching. If this violates forum rules I apologize and this may be deleted.

Cliffs at the bottom if you don't feel like you need all info:

Here is the deal:

So, I am a first gen iPhone and iPhone 3G owner here in the US. This August, I am leaving to study in Hong Kong until December, so about 4 months. I went to AT&T the other day to see what my options are, and it will get expensive to use my 3G as a normal phone. So here was my thought. I have my old iPhone sitting here doing nothing and I thought about when I arrive in Hong Kong to get a prepaid SIM card there and put it in my old iphone. The thing is, I don't know what I need to do and google isn't helping too much.

The closest I got was someone saying that a CSL power prepaid sim will work on an unlocked iphone, which can be picked up at a 7-11, which allows 2 cent local calls and 5 cent stateside calls. This is with an unlocked iPhone too though.

Now, I don't care about my data package, as I will also have my iphone 3G with me, so all i need is to call and text on a prepaid sim.

So, I'm sure that my iphone is still locked as i just used it normally as I would from buying it at the AT&T store.

Conclusion and Cliffs:

So, all I'm looking for is some advice on how I could get my old (first gen) iPhone to make calls and text in Hong Kong with a prepaid sim.

Please Help:Blushing:

Reaction score
most carriers allow you to 'rent' a phone for overseas use. That way you dont get nailed for international calling. Look into that unless you *must* have an iphone...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.