Internet Connection Sharing: Can't stay connected to Network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.33GHz
Hi, a little help please, if anybody has a moment.

I have a wireless broadband modem, attached via USB to my iMac. I share my internet connection with a MacBook and an iPhone, across a wireless network provided by an airport express adaptor.

When I choose in system preferences to 'share my internet connection', the iMac straight away establishes its own wireless network and the airport icon in the menu bar is replaced with an 'internet sharing' icon. I then have to go into network settings and reconnect to my airport express's wireless network.

Fine to do this once. But I have to do it, pretty much every time I wake the computer up from sleep.

I don't wish to use a wireless network provided by my iMac, as security is minimal and my printer is connected to the airport express adaptor.

Does anybody know of a way to stop this happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I don't think I'm following you completely. Why are you connecting your iMac to the wireless modem with USB? Why not use a ethernet cable? Also, if your MacBook and iPhone are using the wireless to connect, why are you trying to share your internet connection from the iMac? Aren't the other two connecting to the modem/router directly?

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.33GHz
By wireless broadband modem, I mean the variety of wireless broadband provided by mobile phone operators. i.e: USB modem, SIM card and dreadfully slow connection! Cant plug the modem straight into Airport express so must share the connection across a wireless network.

Does that explain things a little better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.33ghz 768ram, iMac G4 1.0ghz 1gb 80gb 10.4.11, iMac G3 450mhz 256 20gb 10.4.11 9.2.2
Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem as olaf-the-hairy.
For my knowledge the proposed link shows how to set up the canonical 'internet sharing' (the one that olaf-the-hairy already tested ), so, this could no be the solution.
I've heard that it possible to use the natd daemon at such purpose ..... if someone could help on this ....!?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.