How do I unlock a locked folder?

Reaction score
Hi,
I transferred some data from a NTFS formatted portable HDD to my imac. I noticed that some of the folders have padlocks in the bottom left corner - indicating that they are locked.

I tried to "Move to Trash" a "thumbs" file from this locked folder, and was prompted to enter my password. I did so, but the file did not end up in the trash.

I then dragged the whole folder to the trash and this worked.

How does one unlock folders like this - and how do they become locked?

Thanks in advance...

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since OS X can only read NTFS files (no write) and when you transfer files such as "thumbs" which are system, hidden, or read only in Windows, they will be locked.

Before transferring any files from Windows, while in Windows, use the properties dialog to remove file attributes first. Then do the transfer.

Some folders can not be unlocked even if you're logged on as an admin user. However, they can be unlocked and\or deleted from the "root" account.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks chscag,
I'll keep that in mind next time I transfer data from Windows. Now that I know it's a Windows thing I can rest easy.
Thanks for your assistance
Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.