Installing Firefox

Reaction score
Hi everyone, total noob here after many years on the PC platform. Last Mac I had was a PPC 8600 running System 8 or something like that....

Anyway, I'm using a Macbook with Leopard 10.5 right out of the box this morning and I had a question about installing software.

I found out that Safari and an online app I need don't seem to play nice together, so I surf out and get Firefox. Problem solved, but...

On my desktop, now I have the little icon of firefox and it doesn't seem to want to go away. I've ejected it, but it's come back.

In my Applications folder, I now have two items for Firefox because I thought by dragging the image off the Desktop to the Application folder, it would go away.... duh.... I'm dumb, dude.

I'd like to clear this up so my new baby can be neat and clean.

Any suggestions? I hope I've been clear. I'm shaking the cobwebs out over here....

Great computer btw, I can see already that my productivity will go way up with the high level of integration on the Mac.

I just need to understand the process.

Kind Regards, Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Erm, I'd quit Firefox, get rid of the two in your Applications folder, then double click on the icon on your desktop and drag the Firefox icon within to you Applications folder. Then eject the desktop one, go back to Applications and double click on that one...

If that made any sense? If so, it covers most bases!

T

todd51

Whenever you download an application, it is always a .dmg file. That is what mounts on your desktop.

So in this case, you downloaded "firefox_whateverversion.dmg" and it probably automatically mounted on your desktop. When you open up that image, it should have an icon of the Firefox application. All you have to do is simply drag that to your Applications folder. It is like this with all applications that you download (unless they just have an installer package that you just double-click on). Once you drag that icon into your Applications folder, it's installed. After that just Ctrl+click (right click) on the mounted image on your desktop and eject it.

That's all there really is to it!

OP
K
Reaction score
And I thank both of you for your kind assistance! I've got it all sorted here. No problem.... The transition seems to be coming along pretty well.

Kind Regards, Ken

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.