• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Ripping TV Seasons w/ Handbrake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Hey everyone I have been reading these forums for awhile now, and there are so many knowledgeable members on here that I finally decided just to join. With that being, here is my first question (and first post) here on macforums:

I have been ripping my purchased copies of "That 70's Show," and on each disc there are usually 6 episodes. When you choose your disc that you want to rip, the titles and chapters and all that good stuff appear on the screen for Handbrake. Under the "Title" dropdown box there are 7 titles for my 6 episode disc, and they usually appear something like this:

1- 2hr 15min
2- 22min
3- 22min
4- 22min
5- 22min
6- 22min
7- 22min

So, obviously #1 (2hr 15min) is all of the episodes together, which is not what I want.

And, #2-7 (22min each) are the individual episodes, which is what I want (each episode ripped and put into iTunes one by one).

Since I have started ripping these episodes, I have had to rip #2 and wait 15 minutes, come back and click #3, and wait 15 minutes (to rip), come back and click #4, etc.

So my question: Is there any way (or any setting) that will rip all 6 episodes individually w/out me having to keep coming back and starting the next one five or six times?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 895LL/A - 15.4" Santa Rosa C2D - 2GB RAM - 120 (onboard), 500GB ext FW/eSATA/USB2 HDDs
I would look through Handbrake's FAQ's or Help section to see if it has any notations on batch processing... if it does, then it should guide you through the process of choosing the episodes as a series (batch), then just give you dialog boxes on where to store them (until such time as you gather them into iTunes to sync to your iPod (or AppleTV, et al.) ...

I personally don't use Handbrake for anything: I use eyeTV 3 to gather the files, then export (for editing, if needed) to DV, drop commercials or unwanted content in iMovie or FCE4 (depending on my mood), and then once I have the event done, I push it to .m4v format (I try to steer clear of the large 960x540 unless I'm going to use them for later additional handling purposes).

Hope that helps. Cheers!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How about the Add To Queue button in the toolbar. My understanding is you select the episode and click add to queue. Wonder if that would work for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
travis is correct, simply add each episode to your queue, and when you've added the last one, just start the queue and it'll go through the disc creating files for each episode.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Everyone who helped on this thread thank you, it helped me tons and is going to save me so much time and effort!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.