To Apple or Not To Apple? Read on . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
I agonised for about 2 minutes whether I wanted to go down the Mac route but then spent several months wondering whether it would make that much difference - all the hassle, the learning curve and so on.

I've had this MacBook Pro now for 4 months. Truth to say, I love it more now than when I opened the box - the way it's packaged has to be experienced - it's a work of art - those of us who've done it KNOW.

I like the machine physically, it's attractive and tactile. The screen is still outstanding, the keyboard is not the best I've used but more than up to the mark.

The more I've used the software, the updates, the forums etc, the more I realise I wish I'd done this years ago.

Windows XP (Pro) was for me the pinnacle of Windows, and I dearly loved the facilities developed over the last 20 years or so. I am not knocking MS and I'm truly grateful that they did what they did - it aided my productivity. In my opinion, Apple do it so much better.

I get a personal buzz when I pull my laptop out and see the white Apple on the lid.

Now I'm getting on for 60 years old and never expected a chunk of metal and plastic to have that effect on me. But it does, and it's enduring.

So if in doubt, most of us were at one time. But, once you've done it, if my experience is anything to go by, your faith in switching will be richly rewarded.

I know, I should get out more ;)

Reaction score
Great story, Brian. I especially enjoyed the part about the experience of opening a Mac for the first time. Isn't it amazing that the packaging of the product tells the owner right away that this is something special?

OP
brianwmay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I unpacked it, before I opened the box, I couldn't believe it was all in there! The box was just TOO thin - God only knows what an Air looks like.

It was almost a shame to disturb it! I'm glad I did.

Take care

Reaction score
When I unpacked it, before I opened the box, I couldn't believe it was all in there! The box was just TOO thin - God only knows what an Air looks like.

It was almost a shame to disturb it! I'm glad I did.

Take care

I buy several computers every year for my lab, and while I know some people who keep their boxes, I don't generally. But... I hang on to them for a while and I have a hard time throwing them away. Silly, isn't it? ...but it is true and not uncommon among Mac owners.

Think anyone feels that way about Dell or Gateway packaging?

Reaction score
Cant Wait

I was extremely anxcious before I read your story, now its just that much worse. Mine should be delivered tomm.

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
Also don't forget the fact the laptop is pre charged
Is that normal?!, really I was expecting I had to charge it before I could start

Reaction score
i totally agree...i just switched months ago and own macpro desk and the laptop...i'm so obessive with the dirt and cleaniess...i try to clean the aluminum surface everyday...hate those finger marks!

OP
brianwmay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hit,

Yep, get it out of the box and turn it on. That's it. That's actually ALL you need to do - yes 'and it just works'.

jroller,

Not at all silly - I still have the box too, not because I think I NEED it, but just because it knocked me out - it almost feels disloyal throwing it away.

scottyc,

I envy you because you've got THAT pleasure to come, indulge yourself, even take a piccy. I still am THAT impressed.

Told you I was sad ;o)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, 160Gb HDD, 8600Gt 256mb, OSX 10.5, 8Gb 3G iPhone, 16Gb Touch
I had a similar experience when I switched, and I agree, Macs just grow on you. Great story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
I'm completely different from you all, but I think it's a good thing. Like when I got my 3G iphone.. no matter how busy the store is, they still give you the 'opening experience'. I think that's cool, but I could care less about that kind of presentation. For me, all these recent Apple products have a much better interface and better usability than anything in their markets (iphone and OS X).

I'm an IT guy, so my focus is 'more worky, less crashy'. But I think it's great that these days Apple is designing equipment to make both me AND you happy :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I use computers all day every day as an IT manager. When a compnay can make a better product AND make it look better in the process then they have my vote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I've got both a Black MacBook, and just recently bought a MacBook Air. I have to agree, the packaging is certainly part of the whole "experience".

When I got my MacBook, I remember sitting in the middle of my livingroom and thinking "Wow" when I lifted up the top piece of Styrofoam. I could hardly believe that everything was there......but it was. When I bought my Dell m1330, the main box was huge, and then there were several other boxes inside for the laptop, power supply, cd's etc.....such a waste.

When I brought my MacBook Air home and put the box on the table before opening it, my partner actually said to me "There's a laptop in there?" to which I replied Yes and excitedly opened the box.

I also have to agree with the fact that I love my Macs more now than the day I got them. I'm still finding cool little tips and tricks that make me literally say "Wow" out loud.

The Wow starts as soon as you open the box, and it has nothing to do with Microsoft Vista! ;)

(I still have the boxes for my MacBook, MacBook Air, MBA Superdrive, BT Keyboard, BT Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme Base Station, two Airport Expresses and various Video/Ethernet adapters. I can't bear to part with them yet!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.