Should I buy now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
Hey guys, I'm going to grad school in about a year and still have a year of UG left. I have a windows home-built PC right now with a 24" monitor. I'm debating buying the following Black Macbook. the seller is asking for $1000 plus shipping OBO. I could possibly snag it for anywhere between $850 and $950 shipped.

Specs:
- 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
- 2GB G.Skill RAM ($78)
- 160GB SATA HDD
- Retail Copy of OSX Leopard ($129)

Here' my questions:

1. Is there a noticable difference at all between the 2.2 GHz and the newest models?

2. If I buy now, and want to upgrade next summer, how much do you think this model will be worth in about a year or so?

3. How long would this Blackbook be a very reliable and quick machine? Would it last through the end of UG and a Master's program (likely the next 3 years)?

Thanks!!! I'll be back on about 8:30

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
$100.00 U.S.? if so then I would say it is stolen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
While the OP doesn't have a link to the auction, I'm pretty sure the $100 was a typo omitting a zero, meaning he is bidding on something that is more on the order of $1000 but could be bid down. Or the starting bid is $100 with the expectation that it would be bid up to about $850 - $900 as mentioned.

Which in that case, unless you really want the black macbook, there are refurbished white Macbooks available from Apple for just under $1000 right now. They would come with Leopard and a warrantee just like if you would walk into an Apple store and just outright bought a new one. Then you could spend the money you'd spend on Leopard on Apple Care, which you could opt for.

Refurbs are a great way to go, they have a good reputation, and are cheaper than going into an Apple store. My refurbed iPod video is still going strong.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey, i fixed it, it's $1000 OBO plus shipping.

He said he'd do $900 + shipping charges. So probably around $925 for the whole deal.

So, at this price, I may be better off doing Apple Refurb, or just waiting a year and getting a new top-notch one...?

EDIT: I'd get it for $925, mac2sell rates it at $1050...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hey, i fixed it, it's $1000 OBO plus shipping.

He said he'd do $900 + shipping charges. So probably around $925 for the whole deal.

So, at this price, I may be better off doing Apple Refurb, or just waiting a year and getting a new top-notch one...?

EDIT: I'd get it for $925, mac2sell rates it at $1050...

mac2sell is notorious for overvaluing Macs. I remember pricing my last notebook, a Core Duo MacBook Pro there - and they valued it more than what I paid Apple for it as a refurb with a full warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I wouldn't wait a year, Macbooks are awesome right now, even if you got a second gen like mine is. Anything in the 2.0+ GHz range with at least a gig of RAM (preferably two, because that makes it fly like the proverbial eagle; with afterburning jet engines and maybe a couple of RATO rocket motors) should do you just fine.

Later generation Macbooks do four gig of RAM, which is what really lets you do lots of things. Plus higher capacity HD space internally, which is user upgradeable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
$925.00 isn't bad but I would check the Apple refurb or student store. You may find as good of a deal there if not better. Plus you get a full warranty with phone support.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked at apple refurb, and the same setup, only white and 2.4 GHz, is $1100 + tax...that means an extra $250ish for a refurb, that's NOT black like I would prefer.

So this is the better deal. I'm thinking I won't find a much better deal than this, but I'm gonna check out eBay as well.

EDIT: According to eBay recent completed listings, this exact config would run somewhere around $1100.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, anybopdy have answers to my questions above:

1. Is there a noticable difference at all between the 2.2 GHz and the newest models?

2. If I buy now, and want to upgrade next summer, how much do you think this model will be worth in about a year or so?

3. How long would this Blackbook be a very reliable and quick machine? Would it last through the end of UG and a Master's program (likely the next 3 years)?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THere would not be a noticable speed difference with that mac

How much will it be worth in a year? Depends on the economy I guess, but a MacBook will hold more value than your average PC laptop

It could easily last 3 years and still be a very usable and reliable machine, I am due to upgrade this year but my mac is a 2002 model, still going strong after 6 years

Reaction score
Hey, anybopdy have answers to my questions above:

Thanks!

1) Today, I no longer think processor speed is your primary concern. All processors are good enough for the average person. I recommend investing in RAM and a faster HD as opposed to spending money for a faster processor (obviously not an option in this case).

2) Apple's tend to hold their value well. I would say it might lose about 20% of it's value (but that is just a guess on my part).

3) It will last without question through the next 3 years. I have several machines in my lab that are 6-8 years old that I still use today to teach my photoshop and indesign (albeit slowly), among other uses.

My .02...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK thanks guys. I'm really considering buying this, especially if the guy will do it for $900. I'll have to sell my desktop and have a mac for the next few years. I'll let you guys know what I decide, which should happen today.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's so difficult...hahaha

I found two macbooks on Craigslist just now. They are about $950 and each have better specs (one of them white)

I can now get the Blackbook with 2.2GHz, 4GB, 320GB and all discs, etc for about $1000, maybe less. However, it has a small dent on the trackpad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.