control+enter to autocomplete URL

Reaction score
Another question from someone new to the mac world....

I have had my macbook for a few months, and used to type in the basic information for a URL, and then press control+enter. This would add the www. before & the .com after (type in weather, then press control+enter & you'd get www.weather.com)

I recently found that this feature no longer works. I was not sure if it was an issue with my ISP - but have tried while connecting via mutilple ISPs (& using both airport & ethernet). I reset Safari. Of course, that cleared the history & cache - so there is no point of reference for the mac to use. If I type in www.weather.com, then clear history & type weather + the shortcut keys -- it works fine.

Is there some way to enable/disable the control+enter feature on a mac, or do I just need to enter each URL once for Safari to have it stored as a reference to auto complete later?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
With your Mac, just substitute Windows key combinations that had Control with the Command/Apple key on your Mac. So to get Ctrl+Enter, you would instead use Cmd+Enter.

However, this feature works the way you want it to in Firefox, but when you do it in Safari, it'll do it, but open a new tab in the process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
With your Mac, just substitute Windows key combinations that had Control with the Command/Apple key on your Mac. So to get Ctrl+Enter, you would instead use Cmd+Enter.

However, this feature works the way you want it to in Firefox, but when you do it in Safari, it'll do it, but open a new tab in the process.

actually the shortcuts seem to have nothing to do with it, I tried the following

aol
mxtabs
musiciansfriend
music123

Safari automatically added www. and .com to the sites without pressing Ctrl or Cmd

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.