Wireless connection, iMac to Pc,what do I need?

Reaction score
I am buying an iMac shortly, switching from a pc. However, my pc is still in pretty good working condition and would like both the iMac and the pc to be able to wirelessly connect to the internet at the same time. I have a few questions, seeing this is my first time with a mac and wireless internet. I currently have Verizon DSL. What exactly do I need to do/buy to make this happen, if it's even possible? Also, how easy is it? I'm pretty good with computers, but like I said, first time with a Mac, so it's a little daunting. Thanks in advance.

Kerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Just get a good (read: not Belkin) wireless-compatible router...you plug the DSL modem into the router (omitted: detailed connection instructions, but it's easy enough - just make sure you password-protect your router and change the admin password!). Also, make sure that your PC is wireless-ready. If it isn't, you can pick up a wireless ethernet card for a very reasonable price.

With the aforementioned equipment, you'll be able to have both computers online wirelessly at the same time (my wife and I do it all the time -- she has a PC, I have a MacBook -- well, I have a PC, too, but...I've rarely touched it since I got my MacBook after Christmas!), and in fact you can even set them up to talk to each other over the wireless router's network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro with 4 GB of RAM, 200GB HD, 256MB of VRAM, 15 inch display
Hope this helps!

make sure you buy a wireless router, aka make sure the box has the word wireless on it. Also consider whether you want to buy an apple network device (not to rule out Time Capsule, in addition to airport express and extreme) The nice thing about apple network devices are that their interfaces are built into native OS X apps, giving it the nice Aqua (OS X's graphics user interface or GUI) appearance and (in my opinion) assurance. I personally find that interfaces are not just pretty, but overall less clunky and more concise than those of other 3rd party routers. Back to Time Capsule, which is a apple router and an NAT drive all in one....time capsule <3 's time machine, OS 10.5 automated backup utility. This way you are forced to backup...hehehehe. This is a very very very good thing! In addition, if you are not interested in time capsule or an airport extreme (which has more functionality than the express) look into whether or not your computers, including the pc's are 802.11n capable. If ONLY 1 OF YOUR COMPUTERS ON YOUR WIRELESS NETWORK IS G/B, YOUR ENTIRE WIRELESS NETWORK WILL DOWNGRADE TO G SPEEDS!!!! I work at an apple reseller store and we sell g airport expresses, not sure if apple stores do. But if you do have g computers and don't plan on upgrading to n capable machines in the near future, do yourself a favor a save a little bit of money by buying a g airport express. sorry if this is a little bit jumpy, contact me if you got any questions!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.