Moving iTunes

Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently picked up a MBP for college, loving it! Couple questions though regarding moving my iTunes library from my old PC:

I had read that the easiest way to do this is by burning the songs onto DVDs via iTunes itself. Sounds easy enough, but my old PC freezes up when I attempt to burn a DVD (or CD for that matter)...

so....

Would the next easiest way be to transfer all the songs onto my external hard drive, then import them into my new machine? And in doing this will it erase/write over songs that I already have on the new machine?

Thanks!
Matt

Reaction score
Would the next easiest way be to transfer all the songs onto my external hard drive, then import them into my new machine? And in doing this will it erase/write over songs that I already have on the new machine?

Yes, although you could save time if you put your PC's hard drive in the external enclosure (instead of waiting for everything to copy). Just drag your old music folder into iTunes and it will import everything. Nothing will be overwritten or erased.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.