Yay!! I Got My Macbook Today!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm so happy! :)

Few questions:
1) The inside (area with screen and keyboard) seems a bit gray, I always thought the entire laptop was 100% white. Maybe it's just the lighting or something.

2) I want to buy a Macally Ice Mini mouse for it, has anyone ever used one? Is it too small? I just find touchpads a tad annoying.

3) Is there such thing as an adapter so I can use the FireWire port as a third USB port or am I dreaming? :)

4) How the HECK do you rename a file? I didn't see "rename" in the ctrl-click menu.

5) I bought an Apple iPod USB charger that plugs into the wall. Can I use the extension cord that came with the MacBook with this?

6) For MSN only, what do you think is better? Microsoft Messenger, or Adium?

Thanks for you time!
-Macbookme

Reaction score
Congrats on your new computer! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

1) Outside is a gloss, inside is a matte finish. Probably why it appears slightly darker. Just my $.02.

2) Stick with the wireless Mighty Mouse. Can't go wrong with it.

3) I'm under the impression that Firewire and USB are two completely different technologies, and because they aren't integrated in any way with each other, it looks like a firewire to USB adapter is out of the question.

4) To rename a file, just highlight the file and then after about a second or so, click on the name. The name should then highlight again and allow you to edit.

5) I'm not quite sure, further explanation of said 'extension cord' is needed haha.

6) It's all personal preference. And in my case, I prefer Adium.

:)

Reaction score
the plug head things on iPod chargers and MacBooks are interchangeable, so I assume the extension would work

OP
MacBookMe!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Okay, that's good.

If I want to buy MobileMe, do I need a credit card, or can I pay with cash, and just buy another box each year?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
The inside is gray on purpose, by the way. Also, congratulations on getting your MacBook. You made the right choice in buying a Mac, friend.:D

Reaction score
Okay, that's good.

If I want to buy MobileMe, do I need a credit card, or can I pay with cash, and just buy another box each year?

I believe you can do it either way. Either pay with credit card and tell it to re-subscribe every year or not, or just buy it by the box in-store and let it run a year and buy another if you choose to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
I'm so happy! :)
4) How the HECK do you rename a file? I didn't see "rename" in the ctrl-click menu.

Select the file & hit enter.

When I first realized that, I thought it was the stupidest thing ever, but after a few months of use, I hate not being able to do it on my windows machine at work.

Also a nice thing you may want to take a gander at is changing trackpad gestures so you don't have to crtl,click everything

congrats on the mac :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Double click the file name slowly to change it.

Adium rocks btw.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.