Considering switching from PC to Mac

Reaction score
I know I am the enemy as of now by being a PC guy. I hope you guys could help me out however. I am considering making the switch from PC to Mac for multiple reasons. One is because my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9300 (replacement desktop) and weighs too much for me to carry around when I start at Cal State Fullerton in the Fall. So I need a new laptop that has great battery life and is also compact (but not too compact) and is lightweight. Also I am tired of Viruses and Spyware and whatnot so am seriously considering getting a MacBook (the black one because it is the most powerful and looks sleeker imo.) But I have a ton of questions. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum to make the thread but it encompassed so many things I figured the MacBook would be the best place to put it.

Question #1: Is the MacBook lightweight enough to be able to trek around a decent sized campus all day along with many books as well as papers? It seemed light enough in the local bestbuy but they didn't have the battery connected for security reasons.

Question #2: How is the MacBooks battery life?

Question #3: I have heard that with MacBooks have random reboots? So basically you could be potentially writing a 15 page term paper and there is an update to a specific program and it is instantly installed and the computer, without warning, restarts and you lose anything that isn't saved. Is this true? This is one of my biggest problems with me not going and purchasing a MacBook so far.

Question #4: Is the OS interface able to be customized? I feel the thing w/ programs at the bottom is tacky and is it possibly to change the style of it?

Question #5: How is the webcam? Is it slow to where audio doesn't match the person speaking and everything is delayed?

Question #6: Now I hear one could run windows on a Mac does that cost extra?

Question #7: Would it be better for me to use Office 08 for Mac on OS X Leopard or to use iWork? Both could be compatable w/ PCs via conversion yes?

Question #8:
Is it easy to convert iTunes, Word, Excel, Powerpoint files to a Mac? How about vice versa (As far as I know CSUF uses PCs and in case I need to make a presentation using a Powerpoint type program through iWork and need to convert it to run on a PC)?

Question #9:This one isn't really a direct question but more of me asking you to post any other input and knowledge that I should have in making this decision. Also maybe some Pro's / Con's of a Macbook as well.

Lastly, I would like to thank everyone who responds in advanced. I know this is a longer post and I asked nine questions which could be a lot for you all to answer back. I really hope you guys can help out as I have been racking my brain for days trying to figure this out and the more research I do the more undecided I get. I really appreciate any and all feedback. Again Thank You! :)

--- EDIT ---

Question #10: Ooops I forgot one! Is it easy to transfer iTunes songs from a PC to a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
Question #1: Is the MacBook lightweight enough to be able to trek around a decent sized campus all day along with many books as well as papers? It seemed light enough in the local bestbuy but they didn't have the battery connected for security reasons.

I'm sure it's light enough. Loads of people at my uni have MacBook and they carry it with them everywhere (usually to library).

Question #2: How is the MacBooks battery life?

Average (3-5 hours). The adapter is quite small.

Question #3: I have heard that with MacBooks have random reboots? So basically you could be potentially writing a 15 page term paper and there is an update to a specific program and it is instantly installed and the computer, without warning, restarts and you lose anything that isn't saved. Is this true? This is one of my biggest problems with me not going and purchasing a MacBook so far.

Never happen on my MBP. Even if it does on your MB, you're likely to be covered by Apple's warranty anyway. This kind of issue is usually fixed through software update which happen quite regularly

Question #4: Is the OS interface able to be customized? I feel the thing w/ programs at the bottom is tacky and is it possibly to change the style of it?

Loads of way to customise it. Try www.interfacelift.com

Question #5: How is the webcam? Is it slow to where audio doesn't match the person speaking and everything is delayed?

It's great. One of the best in a laptop. Lag/delay depends on your connection speed

Question #6: Now I hear one could run windows on a Mac does that cost extra?

You can do it for free but it won't be legit. Otherwise it's the cost of VMware Fusion or Parallel plus licensed copy of Windoze (XP Pro is recommended). You don't need VMware Fusion or Parallel but I recommend them unless you don't mind rebooting

Question #7: Would it be better for me to use Office 08 for Mac on OS X Leopard or to use iWork? Both could be compatable w/ PCs via conversion yes?

I personally prefer Office 08 as there's no need to convert file type (as is the case for iWork).

Question #8:
[/COLOR]Is it easy to convert iTunes, Word, Excel, Powerpoint files to a Mac? How about vice versa (As far as I know CSUF uses PCs and in case I need to make a presentation using a Powerpoint type program through iWork and need to convert it to run on a PC)?

No need to convert anything. Those file types are already compatible on a Mac provided you have the relevant software installed.

Question #9:This one isn't really a direct question but more of me asking you to post any other input and knowledge that I should have in making this decision. Also maybe some Pro's / Con's of a Macbook as well.

[/QUOTE]

Look around the forum and try using the search feature. You'll find loads of discussions.

more info here: http://www.apple.com/getamac/whymac/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I would recommend Office 08 if you want 100% compatibility with Office for windows…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Get Office 08 for school work. iWork doesn't support citations/references etc.

Just to reiterate, the random reboot is a myth, although some very early MacBooks suffered from random shutdowns when battery power was low. This is resolved. As with any machine, you should save often anyway! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Most of your questions have been answered. I'll just add: The Macbook weighs 5.5lbs, or about the weight of a standard physics textbook. Battery life is excellent especially if you turn the screen brightness down and shut off wireless and bluetooth that's built-in if you don't need it.

I used iChat with the iSight webcam to routinely conduct conversations with my wife while she was in hospital. It worked brilliantly, but then we have/had fast connections.

I used to be an interface customization junkie back in my Linux/Windows days. I find Mac OS X is not in need of customization. Oh sure I used to have my Dock on the side but these days it's on the bottom and if I'm on the go (and not connected to my huge external LCD) I'll just make it really tiny.

When I'm out in the world I have no problem taking my Macbook with me in a small briefcase along with it's power brick (which has a brilliant stowage mechanism) and some other miscellaneous items I like to keep with me in my 'man bag' or at other times a backpack student-style. So yeah it's a tote-able.

OP
Snake Eyes
Reaction score
Thank you guys for answering my questions. I really appreciate the input. I think I have made a decision and I am going to go with a Mac. I just need to decide between a MacBook and a MacBook Pro which is what my family would like for me to get. But I think I can come to that decision on my own. Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Good for you.

I've never heard of the reboot problem you mentioned.

OS X isn't very customisable, but then it's not meant to be. The dock at the bottom (tacky?) is a fantastic idea which replaces the clumsy Start menu in Windows, as well as performing a lot of other tasks.

OP
Snake Eyes
Reaction score
I just purchased my MacBook! I got the Black one because it is the most powerful before going into the MBP line. Plus black is just tight. So right now I am just trying to figure things out. I just wanted to thank the people that helped me one last time as you guys were petty influential with your answers to me purchasing this machine.

Reaction score
Well...technically, the mid-range white one is just as powerful as the black one sans a larger hard drive, but the black is definitely sexier than the white.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Well...technically, the mid-range white one is just as powerful as the black one sans a larger hard drive, but the black is definitely sexier than the white.

Hey, don't be dissing the white! It matches my keyboard, mouse, and iPod! Even got a compliment from a job recruiter the other day.

My wife's got the Blackbook. It is pretty sexy, but I'm not jealous.

Congratulations on your Macbook. May it serve you as well as we've said it would.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I know the office 08 thing has been pounded into the ground but I would not recomend iwork. I much like you just switched and am going off to college, I took a summer class thinking I could use pages... it was a total pain in the ***. Unless your professor uses any of the iwork apps I would advise you steer clear.

Reaction score
On my old emac and earlier on in my macbook (old one, I no longer have this), I remember random reboots due to software and problems with shutdown due to battery, but I beleive that it is fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.