My new Imac freezes constantly

Reaction score
My I mac 24" 2.4ghz intel 2 duo with 4g RAM is 3 months old and in the last week has been progressively freezing more and more.

I have installed the latest leopard combo updates and ran disk utility to no help.

I am graphic designer who is often in photoshop, flash, illustrator at the same time, although I have never had a problem prior to this. And lately its not even freezing up when I'm in these programs.

It sometimes freezes when it idles and goes to sleep, sometimes when I'm in firefox, or photoshop, or even finder..

Is there anything I can do to fix it or do I need to call my warranty?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It shouldn't freeze at all. Even when it crashes, it will just quit the application you're running, not freeze the machine.

Could be memory problem - try running it with one stick and then the other.

Otherwise, I'd get a replacement.

OP
S
Reaction score
found problem

After running every software o/s test imaginable, I finally ran a hardware test and after looping it (nothing came up the initial time) I got this error:

4 SNS / 1 / 40000000 : TAOP - 40.500

Which apple care said might be a logic board problem?

Anyway know my Mac has to be out of action for five days.. I am a freelance graphic designer, so it's going to be very costly...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Bad luck. There are always going to 1 or 2% of faulty machines produced, whatever the machine.

Looks like you need to get a replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
hardware wise macs are normally pretty reliable but there's always a chance that your mac turns out to be the faulty one!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.