N00b with questions

Reaction score
Ok, first post.

I'm having a problem with an IBook I got for free. I've had this thing for over 2 years, sitting, because I didn't have an A/C adapter plug for it. I never knew if it even worked until a few days ago when I managed to get a plug. The IBook booted up and worked flawlessly. I was even able to get online with the AirPort card. The IBook is model number M6497.

The problems I had right off the bat, were that several keys on the keyboard didn't work...namely the left and down arrows, delete key and space bar.
Also, the OS was so old, I couldn't even download the latest Firefox. (10.1)
Then, after downloading something, I couldn't execute the program because it had an administrator password. I looked online and found some "single user" commands that allowed me to create a new administrator account and new password.

All was well until I tried to get online again. I cannot for anything get this thing back online, even with a cable modem attached. When I bring up "Internet Connect", a little box appears with a pull down menu, but everything is blank..nothing in the menu.
If I go to "system preferences", then "network", the "location" menu is missing the "automatic" option. I tried creating a new network using the Airport and the Ethernet but nothing works.

The only solution I could think of was to upgrade the OS. I got a download of OS X 10.3 .dmg file and burned it to a disc. I got it onto the mac and when I run the program, I get a message that says I must restart to begin the installation process. When I do, nothing happens and the mac boots normally.
I also downloaded a OS X 10.4 ISO file and burned it to a disc making it a bootable CD. I booted the MAC and to my surprise, it seemed like it was actually going to install the new OS....however after a certain point, the CD drive noise goes away and the computer locks up.

I'm at a loss....I want to get this thing back online and fix it....I need to know what I can do!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You are going to have to do a re-install by the sounds of it.

But since you seem to be downloading pirated copies of OS X, that breaks all the rules of this forum, we cannot help you out with tips on installing pirated software

OP
K
Reaction score
You are going to have to do a re-install by the sounds of it.

But since you seem to be downloading pirated copies of OS X, that breaks all the rules of this forum, we cannot help you out with tips on installing pirated software

Well...where can I get a legit full copy of OS X 10.3 or even 10.4? All I can find are updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
Your best bet is to get a copy of 10.3 or 10.4 on ebay and do a clean install of the OS. For $50-$60 you've got a fully functional laptop.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Your best bet is to get a copy of 10.3 or 10.4 on ebay and do a clean install of the OS. For $50-$60 you've got a fully functional laptop.

Agreed. I would strongly recommend 10.4 over 10.3 too - I just got done repairing a 10.3 machine and found that most modern software, in particular Firefox and Safari 3, won't run on anything less than Tiger.

OP
K
Reaction score
The only problem I have with upgrading to OS X 10.4 is that my IBook doesn't have a DVD drive, just as standard CD rom....how can I install without a DVD drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I believe that there is a CD version of the tiger install disk...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.