Switch to vBulletin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Wondering if you guys think we should transfer over to vBulletin. vBulletin will be moving to version 3 soon, and we could move over to VB3 whenever they make a converter for the database.

I like vBulletin becuase there are a lot of skins/hacks for it, and I have a gallery that I could integrate into it.

Just want your opinions on this. I know some of you are liking invision so....

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
what is the difference between this board and a vbulletin board?

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
vBulletin is a more mature script. Has TONS of support, and a lot of people design things around. Like galleries. It also costs money.

Invision is an "open source" project. It is probably #2 in the market right now.

So either way, we are good. Just a preference thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
either way is cool with me. whatever is easier on you. i really dig this color scheme though

G

gatorparrots

The old maxim always applies:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I think Invision is fine and works well. It will save you some money over paying for a vBulletin license. If you were to seriously consider changing, I would suggest phpBB over vBulletin (since phpBB is also free).

The only thing I don't like about the current site is the page load times. They are very slow, no matter what browser is used. I think it is the nested tables and other effects that have to be rendered that are causing the poor performance.

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Load time is pretty quick here. This reply took .7 seconds to execute, and probably another second to render. What kind of connection do you have? I am on a T1 at work, and cable at home, so I am spoiled. :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Load times are okay for me also. T1 at work and cable at home.

G

gatorparrots

It isn't load time (I'm on cable at work, DSL at home).
It's render time. No matter the browser (Safari, Chimera, or Mozilla), the front page (and longer threads) render somewhat slowly.

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I've decided to re-hash the old version of mac-forums.com and let you guys take a look at it. Keep in mind this board is NOT IN SERVICE, you could probably register into it and all that, but it doesn't contain ANY of the posts from the new mac-forums. I would have to convert everything over. Which probably wouldn't be too much of a problem, if there is a converter available :). It has an integrated gallery, and I think is faster than the new forums. Only catch is, it costs money. I own the license already, so that is not a problem.

Let me know what you guys think. If you are interested I will see if I can't find a converter and we should be able to convert to it.

Keep in mind also, that the color scheme is radically different, and more subtle.

tp://www.mac-forums.com/forums_backup (outdated link removed)

EDIT: Some of the things are broken due to path issues, because we are still LIVE with this Invision version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i like the look of this one better, and i dont notice any problem with render or load time. but a gallery would be nice to have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" iMac 700 MHz G4 640 MB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
I like the design of the two different types about the same, and since the 'old' one has a gallery that puts it a notch above invision. But I don't like the dark grey background :p If you could switch to vbulletin and try to get a colour scheme like this one that would be perfect!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well I like vBulletin and if you already own a license, then I might say go for it. I like the layout of this and the old board about equal. But I like the white background on the new board as opposed to the dark background on the old board. I say, go for the vBulletin

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This board has been pretty stable. So I think we will stick with it. The only thing I am looking for now it to integrate a photo gallery into it. Which nobody seems to be doing, as far as I can tell.

S

superfula

Originally posted by Emrys@Feb 16 2003, 08:48 AM
This board has been pretty stable. So I think we will stick with it. The only thing I am looking for now it to integrate a photo gallery into it. Which nobody seems to be doing, as far as I can tell.
Stick with what you got. I like invision better anyway. They seem to be better at techsupport on their forums.

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Originally posted by superfula@Feb 20 2003, 01:24 AM
Stick with what you got. I like invision better anyway. They seem to be better at techsupport on their forums.
I'd have to disagree on the support thing. It seems that invision is a whole lotta kids that are very arrogant and basically make fun of the people they are trying to support. At least from what I've seen. On the other hand vBulletin support is very responsive, and give concise relevant answers.

Of course this is just my take on the place :)

The software is pretty nice though...

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, my last experience was quite good. They were pretty quick at responding, and they weren't being arogant. I guess I will have to take my previous comments back. I have seen incidents where they think "they know it all", but this last experience wasn't like that.

Kudo's to InvisionPowerSystems for taking care of their "free" customers...

S

superfula

Originally posted by Emrys@Feb 21 2003, 08:41 AM
Well, my last experience was quite good. They were pretty quick at responding, and they weren't being arogant. I guess I will have to take my previous comments back. I have seen incidents where they think "they know it all", but this last experience wasn't like that.

Kudo's to InvisionPowerSystems for taking care of their "free" customers...
Gotcha. I'm sure like every company, there are the good and bad.

But you have a good point, they do provide good service even for the nonpaying customers.

P

powermacg4_450

Ive used several free ones, and invision was the best imho. ;)

If it aint broke, dont fix it. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.