Win XP disk stuck in drive & macbook won't boot to eject.

Reaction score
I was trying to load an older versions of XP on a newly partitioned drive with BootCamp.I got to the point where the 3 options were 1) enter to setup 2) R for recover Win install problems 3) F-3 to quit. The drive spins & spins, none of the options works ( key pad not responding) & I can't re-boot to OS -X to eject disk.

Is there a key stroke combination that will re-boot back to OS-X & let me eject the disk? I will never try & screw up a perfectly good macbook with Windows again!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I was trying to load an older versions of XP on a newly partitioned drive with BootCamp.I got to the point where the 3 options were 1) enter to setup 2) R for recover Win install problems 3) F-3 to quit. The drive spins & spins, none of the options works ( key pad not responding) & I can't re-boot to OS -X to eject disk.

Is there a key stroke combination that will re-boot back to OS-X & let me eject the disk? I will never try & screw up a perfectly good macbook with Windows again!

This is because your disc does not have SP2 integrated. You'll note in the Boot Camp documentation that SP2 is a requirement.

Shut the machine down completely. Turn it on and then press and hold Option key. Choose your Macintosh HD partition and boot into OS X. Then eject the disc. Go into System Preferences => Startup Disk and make sure the Macintosh HD partition is set as the default startup disk. Then remove your Boot Camp partition using the Boot Camp Assistant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.