Removing Windows Partition

Reaction score
I didn't search the forums before posting this because my situation is specific.

I wanted to delete my Windows Partition and the Bootcamp Assistant was expired. So instead of setting back the clock on my calendar, I reformatted the Mac Partition.

Any gurus have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
fastfoodknight,

Not sure I understand that your Boot Camp Assistant "was expired." How does it expire? I don't understand that.

But now that you have reformatted the Mac partition, I expect you should re-install OS X and then use the copy of boot Camp Assistant.app to delete the Windows partition. If that's still what you want to do...

Is that your plan?

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I didn't search the forums before posting this because my situation is specific.

I wanted to delete my Windows Partition and the Bootcamp Assistant was expired. So instead of setting back the clock on my calendar, I reformatted the Mac Partition.

Any gurus have any suggestions?

Why don't you reformat the Windows partition also, or just reformat the whole drive since you reformatted the OS X partition already? Actually when using Disk Utility, delete both partitions and recreate/format it all back as one.

Of course... if you've already reinstalled OS X, then it's too late (unless you happened to upgrade to Leopard). In which case you'll need a 3rd-party utility like iPartition to do this all non-destructively. Leopard's Disk Utility can do it non-destructively if you did upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fastfoodknight,

Not sure I understand that your Boot Camp Assistant "was expired." How does it expire? I don't understand that.

But now that you have reformatted the Mac partition, I expect you should re-install OS X and then use the copy of boot Camp Assistant.app to delete the Windows partition. If that's still what you want to do...

Is that your plan?

Noel

He apparently is still running Tiger. The Boot Camp for Tiger was a beta, time-limited version. It expired when Leopard was released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
He apparently is still running Tiger. The Boot Camp for Tiger was a beta, time-limited version. It expired when Leopard was released.
I guess that it is kinda flawed that apple did not allow the ability to remove a windows partition after bootcamp assistant had expired...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess that it is kinda flawed that apple did not allow the ability to remove a windows partition after bootcamp assistant had expired...

I agree. At the least, they should have upgraded Disk Utility so it could merge partitions nondestructively like the DU with Leopard can. I guess this was their way of nudging people to switch to Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.