Yellow Dog second OS=better than Virtual PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
OS X and Yellow Dog can both be loaded on one machine from what I've heard. I'm also always hearing complaints on the part of Mac users that they don't get access to a lot of PC games that are great. Something I've noticed, though, is that Linux users occasionally DO get access to these games in roundabout ways that still work well. Are all normal Linux programs useable under Yellow Dog? Or just ones made specifically for it? (What I'm getting at is, really, since I know you can run games like Counter-Strike on normal Linux systems, what if you could run it on a Mac using Yellow Dog as your second OS? It'd be a BRILLIANT alternative to using Virtual PC which from what I've heard is incredibly slow).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It's worth a look for gamers

Reaction score
I don't know of many games that make it to linux that don't make it to mac, I am sure there are some though.

?

)(*

The ones i care about are RTCW:ET, Halo 2, CS:S, DoomIII, etc. the new ones. I can handle playing UT2004, and RTCW which is my personal fav. But some more options would be nice.

Reaction score
mynameis said:
I didn't realize there was a linux version of Halo 2 and Doom 3.

Don't know about Halo, but Doom III for the Mac is in the works. Haven't heard the release date yet... will be *****en on the big 23" screen..

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I don't know. That's what I was trying to figure out in hopes of anyone here running a Yellow Dog system. Because I know that on PC-based Linux systems, there are roundabout ways to play CS even though it's designed for Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Counter strike has an official Linux release. But I guess thats for the PC, not for PPC.

R

RC23

If your a serious gamer.. dont get a powerbook.. plain and simple...

although most sellout titles goto the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Strider said:
Counter strike has an official Linux release. But I guess thats for the PC, not for PPC.
I'm also guessing that the issue lies with the processor not with the OS...
Do all linux apps run under yellow dog without issues?

I'm guessing that since you need a special version of linux for the ppc, you'd also need a special version of cs.

But that's just an uneducated guess...

T

Thud

James said:
Don't know about Halo, but Doom III for the Mac is in the works. Haven't heard the release date yet... will be *****en on the big 23" screen..

Better have a GeForce 6800 Ultra, or DoomIII is gonna be a slideshow on that big 23" screen....

J

jbsengineer

Aptmunich said:
I'm also guessing that the issue lies with the processor not with the OS...
Do all linux apps run under yellow dog without issues?

I'm guessing that since you need a special version of linux for the ppc, you'd also need a special version of cs.

But that's just an uneducated guess...

no some applications will actually yell at you and tell you they were designed for x86.... yellow dog cannot be run as a regular linux box because of this. most programs it will run. but somethings just wont install cause they weren't designed for the powerpc... but yellow dog itself runs extremely well! i've been dual booting for a week now.

josh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.