accessing PC printer via wireless network

Reaction score
i have a mac book my parents and siblings use a windows pc
there is a wireless network set up and i have enabled file and printer sharing on the PC. the printer is connected via USB to the PC
i cannot get my macbook to find the printer though. the printer software is also
installed on both computers i dont know if that means anything.
suggestions?
i have been able to comnnect to my PC and dads lap top via the wireless network as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
is it (the printer itself) shared on the PC? IIRC enabling file and print sharing only makes sharing possible, it does not perform it.

OP
C
Reaction score
it is shared. i clicked on printers and faxes. then the printer icon. then share this printer. switched option to share and set the printer share name

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, then second question.. does the PC had a firewall enabled? Both Vista and XP (after sp2) do by default

OP
C
Reaction score
it should yeah
can it be configured to allow whatever i need to connect to the printer without shutting it off and leaving the PC less secure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try turning it off, then see if you can connect to the printer. If that works, then start configuring to allow printing... which I can't help you with. Everything at home is behind a hardware firewall so I don't use software ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.