Sudden Restarts On MBP

Reaction score
hi all...

i recently purchased a MBP, and there have been a few occasions where i have clicked the apple menu and then "Shut Down" .... to then only have the screen sort of slowly grey out from top to bottom ... to which i get the error that i need to "hold the power button" or click the "restart" button.

why does this happen, and what does it mean?

is this a problem with the hard drive, or is this just a random shut down that happens from time to time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Well, the screen you are getting is the Mac OS X "blue screen" (Kernel Panic). It can be related to a number of things. Hardware problem or software problem. Have you installed new software recently that might have caused this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
hi all...

i recently purchased a MBP, and there have been a few occasions where i have clicked the apple menu and then "Shut Down" .... to then only have the screen sort of slowly grey out from top to bottom ... to which i get the error that i need to "hold the power button" or click the "restart" button.

why does this happen, and what does it mean?

is this a problem with the hard drive, or is this just a random shut down that happens from time to time?

Whitetar-

I just posted about this in the OSX area of these forums because the same thing was happening to me on my MBP and its less then a week old. I would get that screen whenever i was attempting to connect to another computer using the bluetooth setup.
I eventually got so upset i called apple direct and the person on the phone told me that its 80% of the time caused by downloading third party software which causes some kind of corruption or issue somewhere on the HD which will give the computer this little hick-ups.
What i did was run disk warrior( great program to have anyway im my opinion) since i did that everything has been fine.

If that doesn't fix your problem i would suggest backing up your files and doing a reinstall of OSX and watching what you put back on and see which program is causing the issue.

Hope this helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.