Bootcamp "Extended (Journaled)" Problem

Reaction score
So I'm trying to install Windows XP for the first time on my Macbook (for the simple reason of wanting to play The Sims 2 which I've had an urge to play over the last few days and own the Windows version of, in addition to a number of expansion packs.) Otherwise, I would have no need for Windows at all. However, I'm having an issue when I try to partition my hard drive.

The message that comes up when I attempt to partition the hard drive using the Boot Camp Assistant is that some files cannot be moved and that I have to go into the Disk Utility and format the hard drive to the extended (journaled) format. I went into Disk Utility and the format of my hard drive came up as already being in the extended (journaled) format.

It should be noted that I did not accidentally create a second partition already (I noticed a lot of people who have posted this issue before had problems with the fact that they had already created a 2nd partition without realizing it).

My hard drive holds a total of 111.8 GB of data and there is currently 41.6 GB of available space. I'm trying to split the hard drive to give Windows 18 GB of space (leaving the remaining 93 GB for Mac OS X, and still leaving 23 GB of free space for the Mac partition). So, obviously, there is plenty of room on my hard drive to make this partition possible.

I have just tried going into the Disk Utility and clicking on the "repair hard drive permissions" option to see if that would work, as someone had suggested in another thread regarding this issue, but it appears to not have done any help.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say!! Please help me!

OP
A
Reaction score
I tried another suggestion made in another thread. I put in my Leopard Install disc and when the installation menu came up, I went to the Disk Utility option and repaired the hard drive.

However, when I restarted and attempted to partition the hard drive again, I had the same issue come up.

This computer used to operate Tiger when I bought it and I upgraded to Leopard a few months later. Could that have something to do with it?

This is the first time I've been frustrated with my Mac. It's always operated so smoothly and easily!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz
Just out of curiosity: Are you trying to install Windows on a Journale formatted partition? Windows will only install on FAT32 or NTFS formatted partitions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried another suggestion made in another thread. I put in my Leopard Install disc and when the installation menu came up, I went to the Disk Utility option and repaired the hard drive.

However, when I restarted and attempted to partition the hard drive again, I had the same issue come up.

This computer used to operate Tiger when I bought it and I upgraded to Leopard a few months later. Could that have something to do with it?

This is the first time I've been frustrated with my Mac. It's always operated so smoothly and easily!!

Your hard drive is fragmented - that means there are files located in the area where you would be building the Boot Camp partition and installing Windows. The system will not allow you to overwrite those files.

You have several choices: Completely erase Leopard and reinstall or purchase "iDefrag" and use it to defragment the drive by moving the files and clearing that area.

http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
aaronk_000,

You do have one other choice - backup your hard drive to an external, perhaps using SuperDuper. Then you can erase your hard drive and it will be clean. Restore the hard drive with SuperDuper and now there won't be any defragmentation. Start Boot Camp assistant and you should be OK.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Lytheil,

I don't think so - the issue is fragmented files blocking the space where the Windows partition should go - and I don't think Onyx does de-fragmenting.

If you have the same problem, you could try these suggestions: chscag suggested a de-fragmenter, but it costs $34.95. I suggested backing up the hard drive and then erasing it to clean it off, then re-installing OS X and then going back to the Windows installation process...

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
Man.. This is bad.. T________T

Reaction score
Are you SURE that iDefrag will fix this? The demo won't defrag a volume of over 100MB (which basically means it won't defrag anything) and I'd rather buy that than an external hard drive to back stuff up.

Are you 100% that it will work?

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I haven't attempted this since I left these comments since I was so frustrated with my lack of progress. I'll try to defrag the hard drive with that program, if it's not too expensive. Hope it works! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.