What does a PC running Windows do that a Mac Doesn't do Out-of-the-Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
What does a PC running Windows do that a Mac Doesn't do Out-of-the-Box?

TWM

Reaction score
Mac's don't come with that minesweeper game....

OP
K
Reaction score
You all are making good points.

The only good thing that I came across is that Windows comes with "Sound Recorder.exe" and you have to pay $29.99 to upgrade QuickTime Player to record audio on a Mac.

Also, a Mac doesn't seem to be able to use standard microphones, I suppose that you have to buy some kind of amplified mic. for a Mac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You all are making good points.

The only good thing that I came across is that Windows comes with "Sound Recorder.exe" and you have to pay $29.99 to upgrade QuickTime Player to record audio on a Mac.

There are freeware audio recorders for the Mac. Also, I believe Garageband has recording capabilities, does it not?

Also, a Mac doesn't seem to be able to use standard microphones, I suppose that you have to buy some kind of amplified mic. for a Mac.

Depends on the model (the same applies to Windows machines).

With all due respect, this is actually kind of a silly question since these days, Macs really are just PCs that are authorized to run OS X.

OP
K
Reaction score
I think that a great thing about Mac OS X is that anything that you can print, you can save to a pdf file.

Windows users make the argument that you can go out and find something to convert to pdf.

What I'm talking about, whether it's creating pdfs on my PC or easily recording sounds on my Mac is how easy it is "out-of-the-box".

Calling a question "silly" is assuming the conclusion and is not a logical answer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Calling a question "silly" is assuming the conclusion and is not a logical answer.

Not is it's pointless or rhetorical - this is a Mac forum, afterall - and it seems as though you're a Mac user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Windows users have MS Paint whereas Macs have no similar application built in. That's all I've got.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Windows users have MS Paint whereas Macs have no similar application built in. That's all I've got.

On that road you can also say a new Mac does not some with Freecell either.

Anyone wanting an excellent Solitaire game, Solitaire Till Dawn X is excellent and has many different Solitaire type games including a great Freecell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
They're two different operating systems.

What does Linux have that Windows doesn't? You could ask these kind of questions all day and get a massive list of answers.

Reaction score
A PC with CRT monitor, tower, printer, extermnal HD, external modem and speakers hides all the wires. Not only that you can conveniently perch a desk light and a back scratcher on top of the tower plus there's room on the front for many post-it notes.

With an iMac the light needs a spring clamp to hold it to the top of the monitor - the back scratcher looks tacky hanging from its fingers down over one end of the screen.

Reaction score
A PC with CRT monitor, tower, printer, extermnal HD, external modem and speakers hides all the wires. Not only that you can conveniently perch a desk light and a back scratcher on top of the tower plus there's room on the front for many post-it notes.

With an iMac the light needs a spring clamp to hold it to the top of the monitor - the back scratcher looks tacky hanging from its fingers down over one end of the screen.

thats true. if you desperatley need a back scratcher on your desk then the only way is to buy a PC i'm afraid.

OP
K
Reaction score
While it is true that these forums are Mac forums and many Mac users are here, the point of this particular forum is to help convince people to make the switch from PC to Mac and to help them make that switch once they have decided to.

It is a very relevant question to ask: "What do I lose when I switch from PC running Windows to a Mac, running OS X".

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While it is true that these forums are Mac forums and many Mac users are here, the point of this particular forum is to help convince people to make the switch from PC to Mac and to help them make that switch once they have decided to.

It is a very relevant question to ask: "What do I lose when I switch from PC running Windows to a Mac, running OS X".

As I understand it, you're already a Mac user, are you not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

What is this obsession you have with people switching from Windows to Mac? Your other thread had a similar premise and was just as silly as this one. People will make the switch if they want to, and there is no amount of reading that's going to make it easier as OS X is a very easy operating system to use. Just using it is more convincing than hundreds of posts extolling the virtues of OS X.

So how about you stop wasting everybody's time with these pointless threads.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You just keep going on and on about how MAC is missing this and missing that. I see no reason for this thread except to cause doubt.

I am going to close this thread as all I see is a war starting and more and more Mac bashing. This is helping no one that I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.