Printer Drivers, safe to delete these?

Reaction score
Just played with WhatSize for the first time so I can free up some space and investigate the sizes of my folders. Great app by the way. Highly recommend it. I've just noticed that all these Printer Drivers in our Libraries take up 3.7gb. The Epson one especially is 1.4gb. Is it safe to just trash these and just install whatever printer driver I'll use in the future? I am not using my Macbook for any printers for now since my office PC is connected to one and I just network my files from this mac if ever I want to print. Has anybody deleted these printer drivers or should I just ignore these to take up 3.7gb of space? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
voltron,

If you're sure you're not going to use them in the future, I don't see why not... You can also get rid of other languages (besides all English variants) on your Mac using a program called Monolingual. BUT there is a consequence of deleting all those languages - Microsoft won't update Office suites with those languages gone. Go figure...

So there are consequences to deleting otherwise unsuspecting items... who knows the consequences of deleting those drivers?

If you have a backup with them on it, go ahead and delete - you're covered if you need them later on.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Will not cause any problems - in fact I may delete mine when I need the space, especially as I have no intention of using an Epson printer

OP
voltron
Reaction score
Thanks, louishen. Awesome idea, Noel. I'll burn these Printer Drivers in a blank DVD so I can trash em all without worries.

For space tips, I think I'll stop using iPhoto now :D. It makes duplicates of everything just like iTunes. At least it's easier to clean the iTunes library. I saw iPhoto Diet but I think Xee and Lightroom will cover all my needs for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
voltron assuming you have the install DVD they are located there under Options so you should not need to burn them to disc. A program such as Pacifist will allow you to install specific software from the install DVD.

Reaction score
Quick question, are these drivers that came on the macbook out of the box?

OP
voltron
Reaction score
Great, Harry. Thanks for the handy tip. I'll take note of Pacifist for future reference.

Spork, yes they came with all Macs. Macintosh HD > Library > Printers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
voltron,

Thanks for the idea with this thread. Like louishen, it gave me the idea to delete mine too. Just did it!

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have done it as well, if I ever need some back I will just use pacifist to copy them back off my Tiger install disk

Spork's question: yes they came with OS X and any updates you may have installed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
Excellent post guys, i was wondering the same thing about that. Its a shame you can't delete the language pack without effecting other program updates:(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.