Advice for viewing pics.

Reaction score
hello,

What do you guys use to view pics or how do you view them? I use the default "preview" but I'd like to use something that allows me to click on a "next" or arrow to view the next pic inside a folder. For example say on windows you open "my pics" with windows fax viewer, if I open one pic within a folder I can just click on the next or the arrow to see the next pic within the folder. What can I use to do this on imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I personally use a program called Xee. Just drag a folder onto the program's icon and you can click left and right all you want.

You can also drag all of the photos into Preview by opening the side pane, which would then allow you to scroll between them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
select + space bar (quicklook) is my favorite for everything!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook. 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 5G 30GB iPod.
justlooking ftw. open a picture in 1 folder & you can go left and right through all of the pics. it's awesome. :]

click me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Why not just use iPhoto? Organizing and viewing photos is what it is for. and it does it brilliantly!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I like CocoViewX - reminds me of ACDSee in Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini Late 2014, OS 11.2.3, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
Hi, I like to browse through my image folders too, so I used Xee for awhile, but every day the default app changed back to Preview. So I tried JustLooking. After a few days Preview was again the default app. How can I stop this? I haven't found a way to set default apps in the OS. I'm running Leopard, and I usually love it but when it comes to setting my default image viewer, it doesn't love me back. For editing images, my old favorite was Irfanview, which can do everything I need, but there's no version for Mac, so I'm looking for a versatile (preferably free) image editor.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try RCDefaultApp. It's a System Preference pane that allows you to forcibly set file associations. I've never had a problem with an association when set with this application. Very handy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 Inch
Great find. Thanks for the info.

Try RCDefaultApp. It's a System Preference pane that allows you to forcibly set file associations. I've never had a problem with an association when set with this application. Very handy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini Late 2014, OS 11.2.3, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
Thanks for trying to help but Preview continues to steal JPGs back.

I even moved Preview out of the Application Folder into a "holding" folder but the OS found it and keeps using it. This is extremely frustrating having an OS force me to do what I already told it I don't want to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Im also all about Phoenix slides

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm going to third or fourth Xee here. it's like windows picture viewer on steroids, gives you basically the same functionality, and light editing ability such as crop and rotate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPro15 2.4/4/500 (Mid 09), MBAir13 2.13/4/256 (Late 10)
I personally use a program called Xee. Just drag a folder onto the program's icon and you can click left and right all you want.

You can also drag all of the photos into Preview by opening the side pane, which would then allow you to scroll between them.

thanks for the recommendation, brotato. works like a charm and was the perfect answer to a problem i didnt realize i had. much better than preview for photos but without the hassle of firing up iphoto, especially for images that i dont care to import into it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.