HELP! Still can't burn discs!

B

badwims67

Before I take a big leap backward and reinstall System 9, (i could burn discs in 9.1 using an old version of SoundJam and Toast - it took a while but at least it worked) does anyone have an idea why I keep getting the error message: "the device drained its buffer without its burn underrun protection."

I'm using an iMac 750 G3 400 mhz - System 10.3.6, latest version of itunes and recently upgraded from 192 mgs of RAM to 640. I'm using an iomega 650 Zip CD burner -- USB -- running at 4x. I've adjusted the buffer size in itunes, made sure iTunes wasn't trying to burn at too high a speed ran a repair permissions session, and sacrificed a live chicken. (well, actually, i ate some fried chicken)

Anyway, I'm wondering if the problem might stem from where my music is stored. All my music (about 30 gigs worth) is stored on an external firewire hard drive (LaCie 160 gig). Could that cause a problem?

Thanks for your suggestions!
B

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
that wouldnt cause a problem, usually, you should never work off removable media, but external hds are ok to work from. have you tried copying it t the internal and hten burning? youir computer may not be reading from the external hd fast enough to write fast enough to the burner, in wich case having the things you want to burn on the internal would help.

OP
T

tottenhamdave

Hi I currently have the same problem with my G4 iMac 17" Flat panel which has an internal sony re writer (super drive) .I have had to buy an lacie external cd rewriter to solve the problem.
I managed to come to the conclusion it is definately the internal sony re writer by borrowing an external re rewriter from a mate.I also have an external hard drive but this turned out not to be the problem.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.