Friends! Reach out to me and make me your brother...

Reaction score
Howdy!

I'm a long time Windows PC user and I'll be honest, I love it. I've got a self built, high powered desktop that runs Vista Ultimate with ease. I will be starting a new job in August and after spending some time poking around, Mac seems to be the work computer of choice.

With my new job comes the necessity of breaking down and buying a laptop. At my new workplace everyone gushes over the MacBookPro, and I can definately see the perks business-wise of going with the Mac.

However, the PC realist in me sees the up front cost of purchasing a Mac with some trepidation. I know I can get what has been called the best-bang-for-your-buck laptop for around $1,300 in the P-6831FX PC.

I can come up with a Pro/Con list for the PC, and come up with a decent Con list for the Mac. What I ask of you is, why should I get a Mac Laptop? I'll be honest, I lean towards getting the MacBookPro, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. Help me make my decision

Reaction score
If you want a marketing speech you should check out these pages: http://www.apple.com/getamac/whymac/

I bet if you told us the specs of the other laptop you're referring to we could list a load of reasons (my money is on it's a lot slower, probably no webcam, etc.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
If you're happy with a windows based PC, and if you're work doesn't require a Mac to get things done, then there really isn't a reason to switch to a Mac except to try something different.

The only reason why I got a Mac was because of Final Cut Studio, which is Mac only. Personally, I found the investment well worth it because I do a lot of video projects and prefer the programs offered in FCS.

So it really comes down to what you will be using a Mac for. If your PC can handle work fine, there really is no need to get a Mac unless you want to. I just dont want you to invest in something that might disappoint you.

And the title of this post kind of irks me. Contrary to popular belief, just because you buy a Mac doesn't necessarily make you a gung-** Mac fanatic or a 'member of a cult/community'. There are plenty of people on this forum who enjoy using both PC and Mac, like myself. ;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed leecho7. I am a dual user. i do prefer OSX to Windows for most of the things I do on a computer, but for games and some other appilcations, I still use and probably will always use Windows.

It's not the Mac itself that drew me into trying and using one for most daily computing, it's OSX. If you get a Mac, get it because of OSX. If you still do need Windows for some things, you can run it via Parallels or Bootcamp.

Advice I would give though is do not waste $$$ on a Mac just to run Windows on it as the primary OS. Waste of $$$ as you can get a plain Windows lappy for less. If you do decide to purchase a Mac, try out OSX and see if it suits you.

For what you do on a computer it sounds like you will need at least a small install of Windows.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Howdy!

I'm a long time Windows PC user and I'll be honest, I love it. I've got a self built, high powered desktop that runs Vista Ultimate with ease. I will be starting a new job in August and after spending some time poking around, Mac seems to be the work computer of choice.

With my new job comes the necessity of breaking down and buying a laptop. At my new workplace everyone gushes over the MacBookPro, and I can definately see the perks business-wise of going with the Mac.

However, the PC realist in me sees the up front cost of purchasing a Mac with some trepidation. I know I can get what has been called the best-bang-for-your-buck laptop for around $1,300 in the P-6831FX PC.

I can come up with a Pro/Con list for the PC, and come up with a decent Con list for the Mac. What I ask of you is, why should I get a Mac Laptop? I'll be honest, I lean towards getting the MacBookPro, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. Help me make my decision

If I were you, I wouldn't even give it a second thought - you absolutely need a Windows laptop. I've seen far too many people that were otherwise satisfied with their Windows experience opt for a Mac for some unknown reason and be incredibly disappointed. Mac OS X is not Windows. It doesn't behave like Windows and you can't approach it unwilling to change your habits.

OP
D
Reaction score
The title wasn't meant to offend. It's from the Simpons' Movie.

As far as the other CPU I was interested in, I posted the model number, which is easily googleable. But to ease any confusion...

Intel Core 2 Duo 5450 CPU 1.67 GHz
3 GB DDR2 RAM
250 GB HDD 5400 rpm
Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTS 512 MB GDDR3
17" 1440x900 display

It runs around $1,300 normally at BB, but I've seen them there twice on sale for $1,100. Additionally, this particular Notebook allows you upgrade the processor, RAM, and Hard drive without voiding the warranty. For another $300 you can get the Intel T9300 Penryn and swap it in.

What I was really looking for here was real world people telling me real world reasons on why I should think about moving this route. I can't walk into an Apple Store without a clerk telling me how awful a PC is and why the Mac is God's blessed gift to computer users. I know that they're viewpoint is skewed and I in no way hold that against Apple. It would be hard to stay in business if you told new customers that your competitor is just as good as you.

So I came here, in hopes of some average-Joe enlightenment.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Actually I and others did give you an honest answer. I said a Mac is not special at all but it's OSX that makes it special. But I also pointed out if you need Windows for most of your work, it might be better to stick with a Windows laptop. I have both and use both because of my line of work but prefer the ease of use and stability of OSX for my own work but Windows XP or Vista is far from bad. It all depends on what you need and want a computer to do.

Don't know really anything more to say. I have ran into the people are an Apple of Mac store and their line also. I just tell them I am looking and want to be left alone and impress them with what I know and they usually leave me be! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Drahk, like some of us and I have said earlier, it really is about the software. That is the sole and only reason why I bought my Mac, because of Final Cut Studio. In my personal opinion, it is the only affordable but reliable video editing software in the market. I tried Adobe Premiere on both PC and Mac, and I just hated it. I don't have enough money to invest in an AVID system, and I found Avid tends to make things unnecessarily hard to do.
FCS offers a great professional tool to meet my needs, and it is Mac only. I'm not saying that the other video editing programs are bad, they just didn't impress me as much as FCS did.
Unless you're willing to dish out good money to try out a new system, if a PC suits your needs fine, there really is no need to invest in a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24in Alu Imac 3.6ghz
I am a long time Windows Admin and switch to mac to learn something new.
I have a 24in Imac and last night I boot camped it with vista and was playing Crysis on high settings. I spent 2 grand on it from the refurb store and feel like I got a deal. The display on this thing is remarkable and I'm really starting to fall in love with osx.

Reaction score
Have had my MacBook for a week now (long time PC user). I thought I would not be able to survive... just the opposite... how did I live this long without a Mac :) It is reliable, fast, portable and it is not VISTA... I am faced with buying Office 2008 for the Mac but every other software package I have used on the PC, there is an alternative for Mac...

It is just plain fun and cool to be seen with a Mac :)

Reaction score
If you get a Macbook Pro you can still run Windows if you have to, and play with Leopard, too. I have read that Macbook Pros run Vista better than many other laptops.

Take into account build quality. Apple products are superior in this regard, IMHO.

I used Windows machines for about twelve years both at work and at home, and I switched a few weeks ago. I am very glad I did. I thought the "it just works" thing was overstated and that it wouldn't be much different than a Windows machine, but it really is.

PCs play games better, no doubt. And probably always will, and more power to them. They also have software EVERYWHERE. Macs come with amazing software that integrates together very well, however, and aside from a few apps (available for free) has everything you need when you take it out of the box.

Macs are chick magnets, don't forget.

Reaction score
Have had my MacBook for a week now (long time PC user). I thought I would not be able to survive... just the opposite... how did I live this long without a Mac :) It is reliable, fast, portable and it is not VISTA... I am faced with buying Office 2008 for the Mac but every other software package I have used on the PC, there is an alternative for Mac...

It is just plain fun and cool to be seen with a Mac :)

Try NeoOffice. It's open source (so free) and works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

Well,
I will attempt to be subjective.

The best reason to purchase a Mac is to use OSX. If you like Windows,
then I don't know why you would need to switch. I thought windows was ok,
but 4 years ago when I saw a friend using 10.3 on his PowerBook, I realized
that OSX was intuitive and functional, in a way I hadn't seen with Windows XP.

Yes, Apple has great design qualities for their machines, but you will pay much more for similar hardware. I do think that Apple uses the best components, and I think their machines are worth it.

Basically, the 20% premium I have paid (on my 3rd mac now) is for use of the OSX operating system, not for the style, or the hardware specifications.

The windows machine you mentioned sounds nice, but I don't think a 1.67ghz processor is fast enough, and I think you would need to upgrade the processor, thus spending $300 additional dollars.

I also use Final Cut on my Mac, and that is exclusive to Apple, obviously.

Buy a Mac to get OSX. That is the best reason. The design, and cost, and everything else is secondary to the operating system.

I will say that I have not regretted my decision, and I get frustrated on the rare occasion I have to use Windows for anything more than the internet.

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
I was always in stress on my PC
And I have used PC all my life
I recently bought a Macbook and I'm never stressed again
Mac does what I want, not what Microsoft wants

I also considered just buying a new windows laptop, and I'm so glad I didn't do that
Actually it may looks cheaper when you compare to RAM or Harddrive
But an 2.4Ghz Intel Dualcore powered windows laptop is nearly not even possible to find and if you find it it is very expensive

Just wanted to share that
I'm so relieved since Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch 3.06 ghz
I'm a long time windows user; I have an ultra high end gaming laptop (Sager) that runs Vista like a dream and I have absolutely zero issues with it or Vista. I wanted a large screen, and I didn't want to give up my desk space, and I remembered the iMac ads.

What brought me over to the Mac side was quite simply the form factor of the iMac. It's a gorgeous machine, and takes up so little space.

Once I got it, I set myself to learning the ins and outs of OS X, and THAT'S what hooked me. At first, I really didn't see what all the hype was about. Just another OS. But now that I'm really starting to find my way around (it's just been a couple of weeks) I'm in love with the entire package. I don't even boot up my Vista machine now

In fact, I ordered my hubby the same iMac a week after mine arrived, and I doubt we'll ever go back to Windows. And I have no beef at all with Vista. I just like Leopard that much more.

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
I'm a long time windows user; I have an ultra high end gaming laptop (Sager) that runs Vista like a dream and I have absolutely zero issues with it or Vista. I wanted a large screen, and I didn't want to give up my desk space, and I remembered the iMac ads.

What brought me over to the Mac side was quite simply the form factor of the iMac. It's a gorgeous machine, and takes up so little space.

Once I got it, I set myself to learning the ins and outs of OS X, and THAT'S what hooked me. At first, I really didn't see what all the hype was about. Just another OS. But now that I'm really starting to find my way around (it's just been a couple of weeks) I'm in love with the entire package. I don't even boot up my Vista machine now

In fact, I ordered my hubby the same iMac a week after mine arrived, and I doubt we'll ever go back to Windows. And I have no beef at all with Vista. I just like Leopard that much more.

Lol same here my very decent PC has been off since I got a Mac, I should sell my PC anytime soon
I will also never ever go back to Windows
Only thing I'm worried about is not being able to play Bioshock 2(In future), O well hope it comes for PS3

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz

As far as the other CPU I was interested in, I posted the model number, which is easily googleable. But to ease any confusion...

It runs around $1,300 normally at BB, but I've seen them there twice on sale for $1,100. Additionally, this particular Notebook allows you upgrade the processor, RAM, and Hard drive without voiding the warranty. For another $300 you can get the Intel T9300 Penryn and swap it in.

What I was really looking for here was real world people telling me real world reasons on why I should think about moving this route. I can't walk into an Apple Store without a clerk telling me how awful a PC is and why the Mac is God's blessed gift to computer users. I know that they're viewpoint is skewed and I in no way hold that against Apple. It would be hard to stay in business if you told new customers that your competitor is just as good as you.

Sorry to say it but that is a real bad configuration:

Intel Core 2 Duo 5450 CPU 1.67 GHz
3 GB DDR2 RAM
250 GB HDD 5400 rpm
Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTS 512 MB GDDR3
17" 1440x900 display

The CPU really matters 730 Mhz Dual core is really a lot of lost speed
All those windows laptops have things like good ram good harddisk good graphics card
But the processor is crappy while you may get fooled over with those other specs the processor is the most important
Also I find 17" a bad thing but that is different for anybody, I find it bad because 17" screen means the laptop is very big so everything will fit in
And then it even has a low quality(In meaning of pixels) screen compared to macbook 17" which has 1680x1050 while the screen is exactly the same size
The more pixels the sharper

It's your choice I was in almost the same situation as you, also getting "fooled" by those high specs of Harddisk RAM and graphics card but a bad processor speed

EDIT:
Sorry for double post

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.