secure empty trash + temperature

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
how do i empty my trash without blowing up my MB? :|
it's kinda scary hearing the fan like a conchord about to take off and the CPU temp going up to 80˚C.

i use it on a/c power but i've never removed the battery, and i read that all this heat can damage it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig
just emptying the trash shouldn't cause all these..
about the heat as i said it shouldn't get warm so much just for emptying the trash but at the same time u have nothing to worry about because if heat get critical levels for your computer it shuts down itself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you designate files in the trash are to be deleted securely, the system writes a series of "ones and zeros" to the space that the file once occupied. It does it rather rapidly and makes passes. In other words, over again several times. That causes the CPU and HDD to work harder driving up the temperature. The fan will increase RPM to provide cooling. The whole process may last several minutes or more. All normal and should not hurt the battery.

If the data (files, folders) to be deleted are not sensitive, turn off the secure delete option. Trash will be emptied in a normal manner.

Regards.

OP
MissMurder
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.