Wanted: Opinions on iMac vs. MacBook

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm new to these forums, as this is in fact my first post. I apologize in advance, if this is posted in the wrong place. Please, any mod's, move it to where it belongs.

But anyway, I'm new to the whole Apple experience. So new, in fact, that I still don't own any Apple products! But that'll, change, just as soon as I get a job. Until then: speculation and preparation.

I'm torn, trying to decide between a MacBook:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTE3MjA
(Stock 2.1GHz, except for adding an additional Gig of RAM.)

And an iMac:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?mco=MTE3MDM
(Stock 2.4GHz, except for adding an additional Gig of RAM.)

At first, I was leaning toward the iMac. Then, after looking at each for a while, I started to lean toward the MacBook. I finally realized that I should stop basing my decision purely on looks and experience with other computers, and let folks with experience tell me which is better for me.

I plan on using it for light-medium gaming, including Counter-Strike:Source, the whole Half-Life2 series, amongst other things from VALVe, as well as World of Warcraft. I also plan on using it for regular computer uses, and might get into video/photo/music editing later on.

Some portability would be nice as well. The iMac doesn't look that hard to pack up and move, although it's obviously not going to be as portable as the MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
You want us to choose for you ? :)

Okay then, if it was my choice i would select the MacBook Pro, with the fastest CPU. Short on cash ? Save up a month or two then get it.

You say you would like the mobility and the MacBook Pro is a bit more mobile than the iMac. You can also play WoW, and Valves games quite good on the MacBook Pro.

Ultimately you have to make the choice yourself, mobile, or not mobile ? :)

OP
ApertureTS
Reaction score
D; You make it sound so simple!

And also, meant to point out the MacBook, not the MacBook Pro. That should be fixed now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah ... well it might not be as simple for you as it is for me, sorry about that ;). The MacBook (not Pro) CAN play WoW but it depends on what you expect, the performance isn't so good, regarding frame rates and such, especially in instances. This is my own experiences of course... and that is with the 2,4Ghz MacBook. With the iMac you get at least better gaming performance. MacBook have a integrated graphics card.

OP
ApertureTS
Reaction score
I think just about anything would be an improvement over what I'm playing on now. I usually get anywhere from 5-12 FPS in major cities...

Hopefully your MacBook handles better than this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you make a search on youtube for "macbook wow" you get a few videos that show you the performance.

OP
ApertureTS
Reaction score
Sweet deal, thanks.

Anyone else have any advice as to which unit I should spring for?

(Didn't mean for that to sound rude towards you, Strukt. If you have more to say, please, feel free. I just didn't want people to think that, "Sweet deal, thanks" meant that I was finished with this thread. :p)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
If you're getting into gaming such as CS:S and HL2, I'd definitely go with the iMac. And if you can, go with the option to upgrade the video card to the Nvidia 8800GS 512 MB.
If you're planning to get into video/audio/photo work, I'd recommend the iMac again.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think just about anything would be an improvement over what I'm playing on now. I usually get anywhere from 5-12 FPS in major cities...

Hopefully your MacBook handles better than this?

Note that the MacBook has integrated graphics, not a full 3D accelerated GPU. So, I'm not so sure that the Source engine-powered games are going to be playable.

Frankly, if gaming is any kind of a priority, I'd recommend sticking with a desktop PC. Buy a MacBook for the rest of your computing tasks. Laptops don't make great gaming platforms, period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 500GB HDD 4GB Ram
If you are going to do anything above light gaming go for the iMac. and like leecho said if you can, go for the upgraded video card. Another thing about the memory, i hope you are not buying it from apple but instead from a 3rd party vendor like Crucial but whatever your choice you will be happy with your new mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch
Because you would be using the computer for gaming, I would have to go with the iMac. However, if possible, try to get the 2.6GHz processor as opposed to the 2.4 because of increased performance, and an extra GB of RAM. :)

OP
ApertureTS
Reaction score
Wow, I'll definitely be buying my memory from Crucial now. And it looks like the majority is in favor of the iMac, and I agree. Thanks for all the help guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24in Alu Imac 3.6ghz
I have the 3.6 ghz Imac with the 8800gs and Crysis in Vista runs awesome.

Reaction score
Have had my MacBook for a week now (new to Mac)... LOVE IT!! I like it for portability... speed is awesome... 2G Ram.... 160 HD... Super CD/DVD drive.

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.