Have icons appear on left side of screen instead of right?

Reaction score
Hi all,

You know when you plug an ipod into your mac or an external hdd, and the icon for it appears on the right side of the desktop?

How could I change it so things such as these appear on the left side, and really, change leopard to put all icons on the left side? The reason I ask is because I like having my contact list for adium on the right, but it blocks icons and such.

Thanks!

PS: I'm loving my new mbp with leopard, best computer decision I've made since building my own pc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I looked into this when I first got my macbook but never found a way to get Mac OS X to create new icons on the left. Hopefully someone knows how!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
bump because I'd still like to know!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
An easy solution:

1) Make aliases of all the hard drive icons on your Macs desktop.

2) In Finders Prefs (General), turn off the corresponding drive icons for the desktop.

3) Move icon aliases to the left side of screen where they will stay.

I have done this for my 9 hard drives and 4 iPods to keep them in the order I want them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.6, 1TB Storage
I'm assuming your asking because thats what your used to on Windows. I've always going from Windows to Mac is like going to one of those foreign countries where you drive on the opposite side of the road. Your (close minimize maximize) buttons are on the other side, your AIM messenger is on the other side, and so are all your icons.

Easiest thing, get used to it. I assume its going to happen every time you download something to your desktop. Really, it does not take that long to adapt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.