MacBook: Install SuperDrive?

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Hope things are going great for each of you. I just have a quick question as I'm not very knowledgeable in the hardware arena of computers.

I currently have this White MacBook that has a regular CD burner/DVD ROM drive. It's just not able to burn DVDs. Hence, I really would like to add a DVD burner to the MacBook.

So my questions are: 1) Is it possible? If so, can you point me in the direction of a good place to purchase the Super Drive? 2) Is it better just to sell this MacBook and purchase one that does have one already factory installed?

Thanks for any help!

-youthpastor

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi:

Take a look here:

www.ifixit.com

You can price a superdrive which will burn DVDs and at the same time look at the installation instructions.

Regards.

Reaction score
superdrive upgrade

i wouldn't bother, get an external with firewire, there cheaper, less hassle and you can hang on to it if you sell your apple later. make sure you get firewire because you can't boot from usb if catastrophe strikes.
good luck
steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Complete agreement with Steve. I recommend the Pioneer brand of optical drive, because it works really well with Mac; and the 115D model, because it will burn dual layer disks.

If and when you buy an enclosure, get the combo USB-Firewire type with an Oxford chipset. There have been several firewire compatibility problems reported with other enclosures. The best place to go for your purchases is probably OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.