Gaming on a macbook pro via windows?

Reaction score
So, with the macbook pro carrying 2.5ghz , 250gb hard drive and an nvidia 8600m gt graphics card, it might pull me over to buy a mac. Thing is, I'm an avid gamer, and wondering if I could still play games on the mac via bootcamp and windows?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Short answer: Yes. The MBP has dedicated graphics and will run most graphic intensive Windows games well. When you buy your MBP, also plan on buying after market memory and upgrade it to 4 Gb. Don't buy the memory from Apple. $$$

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
yes it can run the games fine. but do you really want to buy a mac to run windows on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Yea screw windows. Some decent games get ported over to OSX.

Reaction score
I do the same i have a MacBook pro with 4gb ram, runs vista and xp 64 fine mind you its tricky getting 64 bit running. I would just stick with 32bit but you have to remember that xp32 wont run 4gb ram, vista with sp1 will.

I play battlefield 2142 and cod4 fine on my pro just fine. I have the mac version of 2142 and it runs like an old dog.

I would say stick to windows for games ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would say stick to windows for games ;)

I'll go one further - stick to an easily upgradeable PC desktop if gaming is a big deal for you.

Laptops in general do not make good gaming platforms - the MacBook Pro in particular is a bad choice since you can't upgrade the video card. If you're a gamer, I'd recommend building your own PC as a dedicated gaming box.

Reaction score
Well regardless of any laptop you can't upgrade the graphics card. I have a Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 2.4, 4GB's Ram, 200 GB 7200 rpm, and I can run Crysis on Medium, Bioshock on High, its awesome.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well regardless of any laptop you can't upgrade the graphics card. I have a Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 2.4, 4GB's Ram, 200 GB 7200 rpm, and I can run Crysis on Medium, Bioshock on High, its awesome.

Certain Dell XPS notebooks, Alienware, Voodoo and HP notebooks have upgradeable video cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looking at getting a Macbook Pro; Intel core 2 2.4 ghz CPU; 2 gig ram; 200 gig HDD; nVidia 8600 vide
i am looking at getting a macbook pro and putting windows on it JUST for running games. while not AVID gamer i do play pc games and was wondering the same thing. i know it will run, but wondered about performance. thanks for already answering my questions guys.

also i am going to school for web page design and pc game design. will be nice to be able to switch back and forth to check compatibility.

Reaction score
Certain Dell XPS notebooks, Alienware, Voodoo and HP notebooks have upgradeable video cards.

what I meant is that once you buy the machine, the graphics card that you bought it with can't be upgraded later.

That's awesome! And yeah it's definitely a huge advantage over others to have windows and a mac on the same machine. My set up is windows XP pro through bootcamp. I gave the partition 30GBs because I'm an avid tamer just like yourself.

Whenever I want to play a game like need for speed or Crysis, I reboot into XP and play my game. But when I just need to quickly access something though Internet explorer I have VMware fusion installed on my mac installed. It basically grabs my bootcamp partition and launches it on my mac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what I meant is that once you buy the machine, the graphics card that you bought it with can't be upgraded later.

Actually, they are upgradeable after the sale. They don't use standard formfactors, so you do have to go back to the manufacturer, but they are intended to be user-upgradeable which is part of the allure of these high-end models.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.